Turn on thread page Beta

Is exploitation of the destitute required for increased living standards? watch

• Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    As above except I'd have preferred the end to say "increased standards of the poor in developed countries".

When I say exploitation, I'm referring to things like the use of sweatshops, the avoidance of countries with minimum law rules as well as things like using laws to absorb loans for pennies on the pound/dollar and then making a profit or selling poor/old drugs to multiple times their value to developing countries.

I know such things are often shown as the greedy exploits of rich businessmen but what I'm uncertain off is whether the profits that would have come such such shady business that's reinvested into certain companies are "necessary evil" to allow people in countries like hours a decent state of living.

When I have more time, I'll do more research and add some examples to the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)
    As above except I'd have preferred the end to say "increased standards of the poor in developed countries".

When I say exploitation, I'm referring to things like the use of sweatshops, the avoidance of countries with minimum law rules as well as things like using laws to absorb loans for pennies on the pound/dollar and then making a profit or selling poor/old drugs to multiple times their value to developing countries.

I know such things are often shown as the greedy exploits of rich businessmen but what I'm uncertain off is whether the profits that would have come such such shady business that's reinvested into certain companies are "necessary evil" to allow people in countries like hours a decent state of living.

When I have more time, I'll do more research and add some examples to the OP.
    I think the answer is 'yes', very much so for developing countries however a culture of capitalism and innovation is also important to create new industries. In the case of the UK we began the industrial revolution and created the steam engine because of such culture.

While i do think African governments should direct infrastructure if i were them i would abolish any ideas of welfare or the NHS have a simple 10% flat income and corporation tax rate and invite any company that wants to come free of all restrictions. Using the tax revenue accrued i would build infrastructure and rape any resources i could from the ground such that the companies and people had decent roads and trains between cities and neighboring countries while also developing systems to make sure that all people and businesses were identifiable for tax purposes. After that point i would enact measures such as providing free education and start to take measures to raise wages. Once sufficient only then would i consider services like an NHS.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.