Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not eligible for Foundation degree course and told to complete Access course? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello a few days ago I posted asking why I was unsuccessful on getting on a foundation degree course even though I met the entry requirements. I had a reply from the university today. The University told me that I was not eligible for the foundation degree course (They didn't explain why) I stated previously that 'I met the entry requirements' They also said I should apply for an Access course in college and then apply for a year one entry degree next year, meaning I wouldn't have to do the foundation year because I would've done an access course. Surely an Access course and Foundation course are pretty much the same? I'll just be doing the same thing either way? Why tell me to complete an Access course and then tell me to apply for year one entry, when taking a Foundation degree year would lead me on the same tracks? And how wouldn't I be eligible? Surely the better option would be to complete the foundation year? So confused.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Foundation years are generally for people with the right level of qualification but the wrong subjects. Eg you might have English, French and History but want a science degree.

An Access course is for people without the right level of qualification. So you might only have GCSE or equivalent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Universities generally like to see evidence of recent study before they'll offer you a place, even on a foundation year. I'm doing Access because I took my A levels a long time ago. Looking on the bright side, the fees for Access are much lower than university fees, and if you are old enough to get a 24+ Loan to cover them, the debt is wiped off when you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a foundation year and it may be that it is very competitive. A lot of my friends were put into a HNC/HND course or rejected because their wasn't enough space on the course!

Also Juno is right. Foundation years used to be for people with low grades but in my experience unis want people with high grades but slightly under the amount of UCAS points needed for the course they want to get onto.

For example, most people in my class have BBC at a levels, if they got an A or B then they would have got an offer for their course but because their under by one grade they were referred to foundation.

I was initially told to do an access course but in the end I applied to foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MumfordSons19)
    Hello a few days ago I posted asking why I was unsuccessful on getting on a foundation degree course even though I met the entry requirements. I had a reply from the university today. The University told me that I was not eligible for the foundation degree course (They didn't explain why) I stated previously that 'I met the entry requirements' They also said I should apply for an Access course in college and then apply for a year one entry degree next year, meaning I wouldn't have to do the foundation year because I would've done an access course. Surely an Access course and Foundation course are pretty much the same? I'll just be doing the same thing either way? Why tell me to complete an Access course and then tell me to apply for year one entry, when taking a Foundation degree year would lead me on the same tracks? And how wouldn't I be eligible? Surely the better option would be to complete the foundation year? So confused.
    Access course is much better than a foundation degree.
    When you have completed the access course you won't need to apply for the 'foundation / year one entry degree' as you will be eligible for the main degree.

ReputationRep:
    I'm halfway through a Combined Studies Access Course now and it's great. They accept Access for basically every type of course. I have conditional offers for all 4 of my choices doing Music Production/Sound Engineering and I'm studying Sociology/Health Studies/Lit Studies/Biology/Skills For Learning on my Access course.

The Access course, in my opinion, is very, very passable, too! Furthermore, it's only between 7 and 10 months long as you can leave early if you get what you need before the course is out. Also, like what Schadenfreude65 said, as long as you graduate on your uni course afterwards, the course is free as a loan covers it and is waived if you complete uni.

Well worth it and my course has been brilliant at rallying together to get through and get back up to speed with education! Good experience.

ReputationRep:
    The foundation course does not qualify you to teach, or confer the title of Early Years Professional, but is a stepping-stone towards this status Access course is far better option for you, just go for it as it is very helpful for you in your future career growth.

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.