mjd91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi

I have my 1st PGCE primary interview, at Roehampton on Wednesday.. It's the only uni that has considered me, as my other choices were unsuccessful..
I'm quite nervous as I don't want to blow it and I fear I'm now over thinking everything!

if anyone could leave me some advice and help I will really appreciate as when I'm nervous I tend to forget everything!!

1) the interview booklet says that I will have to talk about current initiatives/issues.. I have a lot to say about the performance scale pay in relation to teaching and children's learning.. I'm also interested in the national curriculum 2014 but reading on it hasn't helped my understanding of it, if anyone knows much about it, that would be helpful

2) I must bring in an object to say how it will help me engage in children's learning., have a few ideas on this.. Possibly an object that stimulates creative writing.. Any thoughts/suggestions to inspire?

3) my reasons for primary teaching... I feel that saying I love kids is cliche and unoriginal.. Of course the idea of being a role model and having a huge responsibility over children really motivates me.. I just hope they see i am genuine about it.. Any great points I should make ?

4) the booklet mentioned that they will be looking for my subject knowledge and depth? I have no idea what they mean by this?

Sorry for the mini-essay! I will probably post some threads on current govt issues on the debates category to look at others perspectives.

thankyou for reading and replying if you do!

x
bellylaugh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mjd91)
Hi

I have my 1st PGCE primary interview, at Roehampton on Wednesday.. It's the only uni that has considered me, as my other choices were unsuccessful..
I'm quite nervous as I don't want to blow it and I fear I'm now over thinking everything!

if anyone could leave me some advice and help I will really appreciate as when I'm nervous I tend to forget everything!!

1) the interview booklet says that I will have to talk about current initiatives/issues.. I have a lot to say about the performance scale pay in relation to teaching and children's learning.. I'm also interested in the national curriculum 2014 but reading on it hasn't helped my understanding of it, if anyone knows much about it, that would be helpful

2) I must bring in an object to say how it will help me engage in children's learning., have a few ideas on this.. Possibly an object that stimulates creative writing.. Any thoughts/suggestions to inspire?

3) my reasons for primary teaching... I feel that saying I love kids is cliche and unoriginal.. Of course the idea of being a role model and having a huge responsibility over children really motivates me.. I just hope they see i am genuine about it.. Any great points I should make ?

4) the booklet mentioned that they will be looking for my subject knowledge and depth? I have no idea what they mean by this?

Sorry for the mini-essay! I will probably post some threads on current govt issues on the debates category to look at others perspectives.

thankyou for reading and replying if you do!

x
Congratulations on getting an interview, that's half the battle I think. Try to relax as much as possible and enjoy the day as much as you can. Nerves are expected so try not to worry too much. Here's my advice on your points above:

1) You state that you have a lot to say about performance-related pay, but please do try to have a considered, balanced view of issues such as these. You may/may not agree with PRP but make sure that you can see both sides of the argument. Take a look at the TES/BBC Education to read up on other issues affecting teaching at present. I'd read through the new curriculum but don't feel as though you need to learn it.

2) If you've already got an idea of what object to bring in, have a think about what year group it might be applicable to, and how it can help with learning. If you're looking at something to help with creative writing, maybe read through the NC for that year group and see what children should be doing at that age regarding creative writing.

3) Reasons for teaching Primary: just go with your gut. Be honest and I'm sure you'll come across as passionate and motivated.

4) Subject knowledge: I assume this relates back to the NC and how well you understand what children should be learning at particular ages?

Try not to panic too much. They're not looking for fully-fledged teachers at this stage, they just want someone that is capable, motivated, enthusiastic and hard-working. Good luck!
Yawn11
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mjd91)
General passion for teaching, you enjoy the response the moment an infant such as as your younger cousin comprehends a subject that was previously difficult to them. Children are the future leaders. Primary school years most sensitive for stimulation. Shiz like that.
bellylaugh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
One of the reasons that teaching Primary appeals to me is that each day will be different. You'll be teaching a wide variety of subjects, rather than just one, and that variety is really appealing to me.
mjd91
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by bellylaugh)
Congratulations on getting an interview, that's half the battle I think. Try to relax as much as possible and enjoy the day as much as you can. Nerves are expected so try not to worry too much. Here's my advice on your points above:

1) You state that you have a lot to say about performance-related pay, but please do try to have a considered, balanced view of issues such as these. You may/may not agree with PRP but make sure that you can see both sides of the argument. Take a look at the TES/BBC Education to read up on other issues affecting teaching at present. I'd read through the new curriculum but don't feel as though you need to learn it.

2) If you've already got an idea of what object to bring in, have a think about what year group it might be applicable to, and how it can help with learning. If you're looking at something to help with creative writing, maybe read through the NC for that year group and see what children should be doing at that age regarding creative writing.

3) Reasons for teaching Primary: just go with your gut. Be honest and I'm sure you'll come across as passionate and motivated.

4) Subject knowledge: I assume this relates back to the NC and how well you understand what children should be learning at particular ages?

Try not to panic too much. They're not looking for fully-fledged teachers at this stage, they just want someone that is capable, motivated, enthusiastic and hard-working. Good luck!
thanks for all your helpful kind words!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (732)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (925)
42.76%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.39%

Watched Threads