Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone get into some of the top universities with average gcses? watch

I am currently in my first year at sixth form and studying biology, chemistry, physics and maths; I am confident that I will achieve 4 A's by this year, however what really worries me is that my gcses are not good enough to get into medicine especially when compared to others applying. I achieved 1 A* in languages 7 A's in maths, biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, geography and history and 2 B's in English language and literature. I totally regret my gcses, I did not take them as seriously enough as I ought to have. I did very little revision (maybe just a flick through the revision guide the hour before the exam) and for some subjects like English Lang and lit I was too lazy to even hand in coursework (infact I finished all three of my science courseworks the day before the deadline); I know that because of my gcse results now, my options into which unis I apply to are limited e.g oxbridge. However what I really want to know is whether I still have a realistic chance in getting into medicine.
    Anyone had a similar experience but still made in into one of the top uk universities like oxbridge, imperial etc

I would stay clear of Oxford because they place a lot of emphasis on GCSE A* percentage. Imperial is also very competitive and unless you have very high UMS for Medicine, Cambridge would probably be unlikely...
    To be honest, going to X university doesn't matter at all if you want to be a doctor.

Agreed with the above if you get on to a doctors degree program at any uni that does it you'll be fine! Top uni's do medicine! St George's'll let you in with those grades! Providing your interview is gd.

I got into a top uni once... It was an open day 😓.

Posted from TSR Mobile

just pay to resit your gcse's

Doctors are always employed, so it doesn't matter which uni you attend. Its not like Law where you're far more likely to get employed/earn more if you're an Oxbridge grad.

Dont retake your GCSE's, just nail your A levels and do Medicine at any Uni.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.