Clearing experiences

Watch this thread
aidenacs
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I am thinking about clearing because I think I might want to pick a different university choice does anyone have any experience they can share with me?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Read this (all of it) - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/guide_to_clearing
Reiss64
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Before you go for clearing, check out UCAS Extra- it allows you to apply for a sixth uni if you've withdrawn, or been rejected from, all your choices. If that doesn't work, you still have the option of going through clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Quite agree - Extra is a FAR better, less stressful option if you simply don't have any Offers. Time to carefully consider a different subject or 'lower' Uni and make a calm decision.

Avoid Clearing if at all possible!
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
You shouldn't go into clearing by choice. If you are really unhappy with the offers you have recieved, then UCAS extra should be your first port of call. If you manage to exceed your firm offer, there is adjustment available, which is still a nicer process than clearing.

Clearing can be very stressful, and has lots of downsides:

-You won't know what courses are available until the day. This gives you less time to research, and you may make a snap decision that you regret. The courses and universities available will be limited on the day, so what you want may not be available.
-Places go fast, especially for the most popular universities and courses. Some universities will enter clearing just to fill a very small number of spaces on a course, and these can disappear within the first 24-48 hours.
-You are usually only given 24-48 hours as a maximum to make a decision on your offer within clearing. This is a very short amount of time to make a decision about where to live and what to study for the next three or more years. Last year some people were given offers in the morning and had to make a decision by the evening of the same day.
-Clearing applicants are not usually guarenteed accomadation in halls, which may be an issue.
-You can't hold another offer whilst in clearing. Getting released from your offer on results day takes longer than usual, and can cause you to miss places you want. Even if you get released before clearing, you could still end up not getting any offers you want. The advantage of adjustment is that you can still hold on to your firm offer.

Remember that just because a university is in clearing does not mean that they will make offers to everyone that applies. Last year there were lots of courses in clearing that only had spaces for those with ABB or above. It's unlikely that you would be let on to a course with grade requirements much higher than your grades.

Why are you unhappy with your current choices? If you explain in more detail, then people might be able to suggest other alternatives.
aidenacs
Rep:
Because at first I didn't know which university I was gonna go to then I decided I was gonna go to liverpool hope uni but then changed that I was gonna make my firm choice Edge hill university but if I don't get in I would decide to go through clearing

Posted from TSR Mobile
aidenacs
Rep:
But I am worry to go in clearing because am scared that I won't get the course I want plus getting late accommodation will be awful as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
returnmigrant
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Or you could drop your UCAS application for 2014 (you don't have to go to Uni this year) ad reapply for 2015 entry with the advantage of knowing exactly what A level grades you've got and the insight into the process and different Unis you now have.

Life isn't a race. Its worth taking time to step back for a moment and think this one out a bit more. You'll make a wiser decision and be wiser and more confident when you do go to Uni.
aidenacs
Rep:
Thats true but I am ready to go university this year. Do you know anything Edge Hill University for instance their night life etc this would be helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
28.57%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (0)
0%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (1)
14.29%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (1)
14.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (1)
14.29%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
28.57%

Watched Threads