x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me solve this equation sin(2 θ+50°)=0.5
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Moved to the Maths section

ReputationRep:
    Is there a range for the solutions? because there're an infinite number of solutions.

Do you typically use the cast diagram or the sin graph?

What have you tried so far?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by cosv)
     2\theta+30^o=\arcsin{0.5}=?
    so 2\theta=?
    hence \theta=?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosv)
    What are the boundaries for theta e.g. 0<θ<360°

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1996)
    What are the boundaries for theta e.g. 0<θ<360°
    Yes, the boundaies for theta are 0 to 360

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosv)
    Yes, the boundaies for theta are 0 to 360
    2θ+50° = 150 boundaries change to 50°<2θ+50°<770
    = 390
    = 510
    = 750
    θ = 50
    θ =170
    θ =230
    θ =350

ReputationRep:
    x
    Don't give answers? :confused:

Forum policy.

ReputationRep:
    = 390
    = 510
    = 750
    θ = 50
    θ =170
    θ =230
    θ =350
    Whoever is this ‘mc1996’? He has written something that is erroneous – extremely erroneous at that. A true mathematician would understand that you cannot merely pick up a solution without writing in a logical and methodical manner. One of your solutions, ‘50’ has appeared from nowhere. You are supposed to write out the full solutions of u before getting the values of theta. Let u =2θ+50. u =150, 390, 510, 750. Therefore x =50, 155, 230, 350. What you have written here strongly suggests that you lack the required knowledge to study even GCSE Mathematics, let alone AS/A2. I suggest you go back to the basics before correcting people – incorrectly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natnalie)
    Whoever is this ‘mc1996’? He has written something that is erroneous – extremely erroneous at that. A true mathematician would understand that you cannot merely pick up a solution without writing in a logical and methodical manner. One of your solutions, ‘50’ has appeared from nowhere. You are supposed to write out the full solutions of u before getting the values of theta. Let u =2θ+50. u =150, 390, 510, 750. Therefore x =50, 155, 230, 350. What you have written here strongly suggests that you lack the required knowledge to study even GCSE Mathematics, let alone AS/A2. I suggest you go back to the basics before correcting people – incorrectly.
    the harshness is strong in this one :eek:

ReputationRep:
    = 390
    = 510
    = 750
    θ = 50
    θ =170
    θ =230
    θ =350
    Can you please explain how you reached this answer? I get similar numbers for θ but I think I am missing a step.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosv)
    Can you please explain how you reached this answer? I get similar numbers for θ but I think I am missing a step.
    So the original questions was Sin(2θ+50)=0.5
    next we do acrsin(0.5) to find 2θ+50. arcsin(0.5)=30
    2θ+50 = 30 however the boundaries have changed to 50<2θ+50<770
    30 does not appear within these boundaries. This means that we cannot use 30 to find a value of θ
    However from the unit circle or sine graph, sin30 is the same as sin150, sin390, sin510 and sin750. All these values appear within our boundaries
    Hence, 2θ+50 = 150, 390, 510, 750
    making each one equal to 2θ+50, we can find a value of θ

ReputationRep:
    As has already been said

Please do not give full solutions and it is against the forum policy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    As has already been said

Please do not give full solutions and it is against the forum policy
    my apologies

ReputationRep:
    my apologies
    'mc1996' since you seem like a person who is quite confident on their mathematical ability, would you please help me with this question.

The curve C has equation xy = 1/2. The tangents to C at the distinct points P(p, 1/2p)
    and Q(q, 1/2q), where p and q are positive, intersect at T and the normals to C at these points intersect at N. Show that T is the point ((2pq)/(p + q),1/(p + q)).
    In the case pq = 1/2 , find the coordinates of N. Show (in this case) that T and N lie on the
    line y = x and are such that the product of their distances from the origin is constant.

I understand how to attempt the first part but I'm finding it hard to complete the question. Any help on this question is appreciated as long as it isn't erroneous in any way!

ReputationRep:

'mc1996' since you seem like a person who is quite confident on their mathematical ability, would you please help me with this question.

The curve C has equation xy = 1/2. The tangents to C at the distinct points P(p, 1/2p)
    and Q(q, 1/2q), where p and q are positive, intersect at T and the normals to C at these points intersect at N. Show that T is the point ((2pq)/p + q,1/(p + q)).
    In the case pq = 1/2 , find the coordinates of N. Show (in this case) that T and N lie on the
    line y = x and are such that the product of their distances from the origin is constant.

I understand how to attempt the first part but I'm finding it hard to complete the question. Any help on this question is appreciated as long as it isn't erroneous in any way!
    Hmmmmmmm quite a change of heart here
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    Hmmmmmmm quite a change of heart here
    Necessity makes strange bedfellows, even on TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    Necessity makes strange bedfellows, even on TSR
    True

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.