Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Texting a friend from uni, mentioned another guy and he angrily ranted at me? watch

Announcements

As the title says, I've been friends with a guy from uni for a while now (purely platonic) who was texting me about something that had happened to him this weekend. We text very often, he's a really funny guy who makes my day better instantly. All was going well until I brought up a funny story about a guy I'm 'involved' with who goes to our uni. He suddenly changed his tone (shorter responses) but I dismissed it (thinking I was being paranoid or something) and continued. He got more hostile and began to insult the guy I was talking about for no reason. I asked him to stop and tried to make light of it but he told me he doesn't ever "want to hear about him" and for me to "not bring him up again".

I didn't tell the guy I'm involved with what he had said but asked if he had fought with him or anything. He said he hadn't had contact with him at all without me there and that there was no problem. I asked the friend what was up with him and he said he "wasn't interested in anything to do with him". His rant was a bit too strong and random considering I've only brought up the other guy once before, a while back... so it can't be irritation of him being inundated with stories about him.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that platonic friend that you have appears to be an idiot who doesn't know how to make a move.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a little jealousy, I would think he likes you. No guy wants to hear about that with a girl they like.

ReputationRep:
    Well the only explanation I can think of is that it's not as platonic as you think.

ReputationRep:
    He loves you, he wants to kiss you...

On a serious note this 'platonic' friend got a serious case of the green eyed monster.

ReputationRep:
    The effects of being friendzoned? lol

(Original post by kidomo)
    The effects of being friendzoned? lol
    I feel so stupid. It's just that he's never really shown any kind of interest beyond being friends so it's difficult to think of a reason. I don't know what to do next? I like him a lot, he's a great guy. He's texting like normal again and put his rant down to "tiredness" so I don't want to bring it up.

ReputationRep:
    Just imagine you are texting the boy you really like and he beings up another girl he is "involved with". You would be pissed off/upset, wouldn't you?

(Original post by matt_g96)
    Just imagine you are texting the boy you really like and he beings up another girl he is "involved with". You would be pissed off/upset, wouldn't you?
    I think I should clarify by "involved with" I mean a guy who I am getting to know/spending time with but not in a relationship with yet. Yes, but I would not rant at the person as I had not shown a bit of interest beyond friendship. It's not exactly my fault, I had no idea.

(Original post by xDave-)
    Well the only explanation I can think of is that it's not as platonic as you think.
    I can see that now. I was oblivious to the possibility as he's never shown any interest in me in that way. He's very friendly and texts/talks to me a lot but I took it as him just being a nice guy. I feel naive.

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly Sherlock, are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I can see that now. I was oblivious to the possibility as he's never shown any interest in me in that way. He's very friendly and texts/talks to me a lot but I took it as him just being a nice guy. I feel naive.
    I know you like him as a friend, but do you think him being your bf could work? if yes, then I think you should make the move! This will make it 100x easier for him to express his feelings for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I think I should clarify by "involved with" I mean a guy who I am getting to know/spending time with but not in a relationship with yet. Yes, but I would not rant at the person as I had not shown a bit of interest beyond friendship. It's not exactly my fault, I had no idea.
    Yeah, that's weird. Alarm bells should be ringing now. Idk if a relationship with him is something you'd consider, but if he's doing that when you're just friends then I suspect he'd do it tenfold if you were together.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    he likes you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.