Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

why don't educated, ''high flying'' career women marry ''down''? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    everyone knows that having kids affects women's career big time. so why don't these women marry men who will stay at home with the kids since they make enough money to support the whole family? men have been marrying ''down'' since forever and still do. so why don't women do it and continue their careers?
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Lol, because you know all high flying career women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Lol, because you know all high flying career women.
    see post above, haha

ReputationRep:
    I'd assume, because men are probably insecure or intimidated by her success and wealth and may feel quite useless compared to her (in this situation).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Alot of Women are VERY hypergamous. You only have to search 'Women & Hypergamy' to know this and don't some Women come along and try and say that hundreds of Google sources are all crap cause your delusional as well then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Alot of Women are VERY hypergamous. You only have to search 'Women & Hypergamy' to know this and don't some Women come along and try and say that hundreds of Google sources are all crap cause your delusional as well then.
    Men are waking up to it to be honest. The newer generation especially. Men have always congregated to talk about women, it is just now that the internet has it made it much easier to synthesize and refine understanding.

As for the original thread topic, women always look up, they never look down for partners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capn cas)
    I'd assume, because men are probably insecure or intimidated by her success and wealth and may feel quite useless compared to her (in this situation).
    There's no need to shame men, it's more to do with the women. Women prefer to be with someone who they consider better than them whilst men prefer someone who looks good.

Woman have checklists for men e.g must be 6ft+, must earn x amount or more, have his own place/car etc. That's why you hear "where are all the good men", there are plenty around but they haven't met their criteria.

Edit: OP you've got your answer from Dumachi it comes down to hypergamy.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by enthuziazmz)
    everyone knows that having kids affects women's career big time. so why don't these women marry men who will stay at home with the kids since they make enough money to support the whole family? men have been marrying ''down'' since forever and still do. so why don't women do it and continue their careers?
    They might have the perception that the 'poor' man would take her Money?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by puma21)
    There's no need to shame men, it's more to do with the women. Women prefer to be with someone who they consider better than them whilst men prefer someone who looks good.

Woman have checklists for men e.g must be 6ft+, must earn x amount or more, have his own place/car etc. That's why you hear "where are all the good men", there are plenty around but they haven't met their criteria.

Edit: OP you've got your answer from Dumachi it comes down to hypergamy.
    (Original post by Mr_Vain)
    Men are waking up to it to be honest. The newer generation especially. Men have always congregated to talk about women, it is just now that the internet has it made it much easier to synthesize and refine understanding.

As for the original thread topic, women always look up, they never look down for partners.

Taken straight from Wikipedia:
    However, Townsend (1989) surveyed medical students regarding their perception of how the availability of marriage partners changed as their educational careers advanced. Eighty-five percent of the women indicated that "As my status increases, my pool of acceptable partners decreases" (p. 246). In contrast, 90% of men felt that "As my status increases, my pool of acceptable partners increases" (p. 246).[11]
    So it has and is only going to get worst......:\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enthuziazmz)
    It's hardly that simple really. Women still have to carry the child for 9 months, will often breast feed for some time so cannot just go back to work straight away and will also have to recover from labour so couldn't just go straight back to work for a start.
    There are also great hormone changes mean going straight back to work isn't that easy.
    Maybe a year or two down the line it would be different but a newborn baby is quite reliant on the mother

ReputationRep:
    Taken straight from Wikipedia:

So it has and is only going to get worst......:\

What i take this to eventually (or already) mean is that women are less likely to commit to lower ladder men. Yet, they would have many polygamous sexual relationships with them, i.e. they look for the best looking men. Doesn't this sound like the traditional mindset of men to you?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Mr_Vain)
    What i take this to eventually (or already) mean is that women are less likely to commit to lower ladder men. Yet, they would have many polygamous sexual relationships with them, i.e. they look for the best looking men. Doesn't this sound like the traditional mindset of men to you?
    Men typically only look for attractiveness when selecting a partner and usually its easy to satisfy a man, all a women needs is a good body. There threshold is nearly always ALOT lower.

Women want everything, they want there men to be good-looking, rich and well known (high status)

Feminism in its self is a display of how women do not have any idea about how the world works and displays hypergamy at its best (look at laws on marriage & children, LOOK AT SWEDEN LOL)

They literally don't know what they are doing and its damaging the human race, because it is often the nice, average looking guy (traits women hate despite fact the say they don't defensibly allot of the time) that accomplishes the most and when they get fed up of this then who knows what will eventually happen.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    One could also ask: 'why don't powerful and successful men settle down with mingers?'

In fact they do because they probably married one before they became powerful and successful. But dissatisaction sets in when desireable women are attracted to the success and he succumbs to temptation, leading to extra-marital affairs and divorce.

The answer to the OP's original question though is simply that success brings more choice. And if you are successful, you are more than likely driven and uncompromising which is reflected in the partner you choose.

It works both ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonieEmily)
    It's hardly that simple really. Women still have to carry the child for 9 months, will often breast feed for some time so cannot just go back to work straight away and will also have to recover from labour so couldn't just go straight back to work for a start.
    There are also great hormone changes mean going straight back to work isn't that easy.
    Maybe a year or two down the line it would be different but a newborn baby is quite reliant on the mother
    check the sources in the thread. hypergamy is very real for the vast majority of women, with or without kids.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    One could also ask: 'why don't powerful and successful men settle down with mingers?'

In fact they do because they probably married one before they became powerful and successful. But dissatisaction sets in when desireable women are attracted to the success and he succumbs to temptation, leading to extra-marital affairs and divorce.

The answer to the OP's original question though is simply that success brings more choice. And if you are successful, you are more than likely driven and uncompromising which is reflected in the partner you choose.

It works both ways.
    There is just one thing wrong with your theory, they do. Well at least FAR more often than women do.

ReputationRep:
    Men typically only look for attractiveness when selecting a partner and usually its easy to satisfy a man, all a women needs is a good body. There threshold is nearly always ALOT lower.

Women want everything, they want there men to be good-looking, rich and well known (high status)

Feminism in its self is a display of how women do not have any idea about how the world works and displays hypergamy at its best (look at laws on marriage & children, LOOK AT SWEDEN LOL)

They literally don't know what they are doing and its damaging the human race, because it is often the nice, average looking guy (traits women hate despite fact the say they don't defensibly allot of the time) that accomplishes the most and when they get fed up of this then who knows what will eventually happen.
    No need, i am a law grad, i took family law in third year.

Yes, in ideals they want everything. However, they are also human and want sex. So, who wins? The most good looking man in the right social circles (i wouldn't say rich per se, just has to be in the right 'clique').

The good looking man (i.e. not to brag, but people like me) can get relationships yes, and sex. But, these women will always want better and will always try and get an 'upgrade'. This is based on personal experience and seeing masses of men of a similar calibre as me get cheated on and messed around. It makes me very wary of the dangers of getting into a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously. Don't you know what women want?

I have studied them at great length and I can tell you.

Everything.

ReputationRep:
    silly me I thought marriage was mostly about love, not whose earning what. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    Well obviously. Don't you know what women want?

I have studied them at great length and I can tell you.

Everything.

Tbh, i see huge amounts (i can't predict how many) of the next generation heading for a Japan-like scenario. Where they effectively just stop trying with these women and just live their lives and get sexual gratification through other means. E.g. Prostitutes, hentai, other weird **** or just abstaining altogether. With that obviously comes more social problems. I seriously worry for the next generation because it seems as though people are starting to realise that "relationships" never really end well or make one happy in the end. If my views seem over the top, then ignore them, i am not a futurist. However, it is a reasoned estimation that I have.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by donutaud15)
    silly me I thought marriage was mostly about love, not whose earning what. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Marriage is in pieces thanks to law changes that allows a women to win in just about every way imaginable should things mess up. Infact women can if they like leave through "boredom" using a no fault divorce and talk half a guys earnining and his kids.

Marriage is finished very soon if things don't change, even my parents agree.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.