Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Credit card for students watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it good for university students have got the credit card? Are there any banks available for students to apply credit cards in UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotcomabc)
    Is it good for university students have got the credit card? Are there any banks available for students to apply credit cards in UK?
    I have a student credit card with Lloyds. Limit is £750, think the max available limit on it is £1000.
    It's useful for things like housing deposits or if you have to buy a huge number of books/equipment at the start of term before your finance arrives. But it's not a good idea to use it like your overdraft and max it out because most of the student cards I looked at have no (or at least a very short) interest-free period, so you start owing interest as soon as the statement is due.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie_p)
    I have a student credit card with Lloyds. Limit is £750, think the max available limit on it is £1000.
    It's useful for things like housing deposits or if you have to buy a huge number of books/equipment at the start of term before your finance arrives. But it's not a good idea to use it like your overdraft and max it out because most of the student cards I looked at have no (or at least a very short) interest-free period, so you start owing interest as soon as the statement is due.
    Are the international students eligible for it?

ReputationRep:
    Ummm I'm not sure. I'd imagine if you have a student account with a UK bank, they'd at least consider you. But unlike the student account being automatically available, I think credit needs you to clear certain checks, so a lack of financial history in the UK might work against you. :/

ReputationRep:
    Ummm I'm not sure. I'd imagine if you have a student account with a UK bank, they'd at least consider you. But unlike the student account being automatically available, I think credit needs you to clear certain checks, so a lack of financial history in the UK might work against you. :/
    I am from Malaysia. It is not common for university students in Malaysia to have a credit cards and also do not have finance services for student to apply credit card.
    I wish to continue my studies in UK, therefore I ask this question. Any information you can provide to me and thank you in advanced for your kindness.
    I have checked the Lloyds Bank website. It is not available for international students.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.money.co.uk/credit-cards/...edit-cards.htm

This is the top 10 student credit cards in UK - not sure if any are available to international students, but probably the best place to look.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.money.co.uk/credit-cards/...edit-cards.htm

This is the top 10 student credit cards in UK - not sure if any are available to international students, but probably the best place to look.
    It refreshes my perception that UK are so much more advanced than Malaysia. It is impossible for Malaysia students are available for the such services.

ReputationRep:
    I got a lloyds student credit card I pay off in full every month only had the card for a few months and got a letter through the post last week increasing my limit from 750 to 1000

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ykhan)
    I got a lloyds student credit card I pay off in full every month only had the card for a few months and got a letter through the post last week increasing my limit from 750 to 1000

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you international student?

ReputationRep:
    Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile

As an international, you can't get a student credit card although that said you can get any other one on the market.

ReputationRep:
    Lloyds do a student credit card - they ask me to consider getting one every time I go in. The only reason I would consider using one is because they are safer for online shopping, but I would never get one as a means of "extra cash".

If you're international, you'd probably have to get a non-student credit card.

ReputationRep:
    As an international student you don't get to open a UK student banking account, you will have to look at alternative accounts from Barclays, Natwest or Lloyds or perhaps RBS.

If I remember correctly you could open a RBS account in Kuala Lumpur if you have a student visa for UK.

Credit cards are available after 3-6 months usually if you can prove you have a source of income and you are on the electoral register which if you live in a student hall you will automatically be on it if you are a UK or Commonwealth citizen.

ReputationRep:
    After all, it seem that the students may have a credit card although it is not available in Malaysia and not for international students. Students should avoid misusing the credit facilities.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 22, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.