Credit card for students Watch

dotcomabc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is it good for university students have got the credit card? Are there any banks available for students to apply credit cards in UK?
Katie_p
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dotcomabc)
Is it good for university students have got the credit card? Are there any banks available for students to apply credit cards in UK?
I have a student credit card with Lloyds. Limit is £750, think the max available limit on it is £1000.
It's useful for things like housing deposits or if you have to buy a huge number of books/equipment at the start of term before your finance arrives. But it's not a good idea to use it like your overdraft and max it out because most of the student cards I looked at have no (or at least a very short) interest-free period, so you start owing interest as soon as the statement is due.
dotcomabc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Katie_p)
I have a student credit card with Lloyds. Limit is £750, think the max available limit on it is £1000.
It's useful for things like housing deposits or if you have to buy a huge number of books/equipment at the start of term before your finance arrives. But it's not a good idea to use it like your overdraft and max it out because most of the student cards I looked at have no (or at least a very short) interest-free period, so you start owing interest as soon as the statement is due.
Are the international students eligible for it?
Katie_p
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ummm I'm not sure. I'd imagine if you have a student account with a UK bank, they'd at least consider you. But unlike the student account being automatically available, I think credit needs you to clear certain checks, so a lack of financial history in the UK might work against you. :/
dotcomabc
Rep:
?
Ummm I'm not sure. I'd imagine if you have a student account with a UK bank, they'd at least consider you. But unlike the student account being automatically available, I think credit needs you to clear certain checks, so a lack of financial history in the UK might work against you. :/
I am from Malaysia. It is not common for university students in Malaysia to have a credit cards and also do not have finance services for student to apply credit card.
I wish to continue my studies in UK, therefore I ask this question. Any information you can provide to me and thank you in advanced for your kindness.
I have checked the Lloyds Bank website. It is not available for international students.
Katie_p
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.money.co.uk/credit-cards/...edit-cards.htm

This is the top 10 student credit cards in UK - not sure if any are available to international students, but probably the best place to look.
dotcomabc
Rep:
?
http://www.money.co.uk/credit-cards/...edit-cards.htm

This is the top 10 student credit cards in UK - not sure if any are available to international students, but probably the best place to look.
It refreshes my perception that UK are so much more advanced than Malaysia. It is impossible for Malaysia students are available for the such services.
Ykhan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I got a lloyds student credit card I pay off in full every month only had the card for a few months and got a letter through the post last week increasing my limit from 750 to 1000

Posted from TSR Mobile
dotcomabc
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ykhan)
I got a lloyds student credit card I pay off in full every month only had the card for a few months and got a letter through the post last week increasing my limit from 750 to 1000

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you international student?
Ykhan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope

Posted from TSR Mobile
tehFrance
Report 5 years ago
As an international, you can't get a student credit card although that said you can get any other one on the market.
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lloyds do a student credit card - they ask me to consider getting one every time I go in. The only reason I would consider using one is because they are safer for online shopping, but I would never get one as a means of "extra cash".

If you're international, you'd probably have to get a non-student credit card.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As an international student you don't get to open a UK student banking account, you will have to look at alternative accounts from Barclays, Natwest or Lloyds or perhaps RBS.

If I remember correctly you could open a RBS account in Kuala Lumpur if you have a student visa for UK.

Credit cards are available after 3-6 months usually if you can prove you have a source of income and you are on the electoral register which if you live in a student hall you will automatically be on it if you are a UK or Commonwealth citizen.
dotcomabc
Rep:
?
After all, it seem that the students may have a credit card although it is not available in Malaysia and not for international students. Students should avoid misusing the credit facilities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads