Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have just been accepted onto my chosen course at Liverpool uni (yay!) and today I have gone on to apply for student finance...

Now, when I go onto the calculator to estimate how much I will get, it always asks me 'have you been financially independent (in employment) for 3 years or more' - which I have as I've worked since I was 16 - and this means that they only take my income into account, not my parents.

However, today when I have applied through the direct.gov website, it didn't ask me that and has basically said that it will take my household income into account and that they are emailing my parents for their income info!!

Now as you can imagine at 22 (will be 23 before start of course), having worked from the age of 16, hell I even lived in Prague on my own for some of last year( but now back home with my parents) they will NOT be supporting any of my uni fees as they simply can't afford too ... nor should they have to as I've been looking after myself for 6/7 years paying my own way (rent, food, phone and internet bills, etc..)

Does anyone have any info or advise for me? Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

Official TSR Representative
    Hi Chambers,

Please complete the following form and provide evidence to show income in the region of £7500 for three financial years, prior to your course start date.

This will allow us to assess you as an independent student.

Thanks very much!
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2014
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.