The Student Room Group

PE Teacher!

I just got accepted to study sport management (3 years) and I want to become a sports teacher at secondary school level, would I be able to undertake a PGCE with this degree?
Reply 1
Probably not, I'm afraid to say.

There's a fellow at my placement school with a sport management degree. He's on a business PGCE. PE PGCEs are insanely competitive and his degree had too much management and not enough sport.

Start asking teacher training providers at this point what your chances are. They'll know more than we internet dwellers, and you may be able to finagle your degree modules and start getting the kind of voluntary experience they look for.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
You would be better off studying a physical education degree instead. These are more practical and often have coaching modules which will be very beneficial.
PE PGCEs are the most competitive, people with directly related degrees and tons of experience are often not even given interviews.
Pe is really competitive and am really lucky to be on my undergrad course where I get to train as a pe teacher while doing my degree over four years instead of three. To do pe PGCE, need a decent sport or pe or sport science degree and plenty of experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I agree you do need more like a sport science or physical ed degree. You also may want to think about doing plenty of sports coaching courses. You can check information on the different coaching courses here if that helps. Www.findacoachingcourse.com

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending