The Student Room Group

TSR scares me

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I agree with your last point as I've said time and time again, I don't care much especially for modern feminism but the constant threads here that hate on women are totally uncalled for.

You also say that they are trolls or just want to capture attention, how do you know that they don't have such attitudes to women in real life? Not just here, there are many other websites that are dedicated to belittling women.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I find backwards is the amount of women agreeing with your OP though, so many men are nice to women on here compared to other sites. I don't agree with censorship so I'm not going to support your point, but I respect your opinion

We don't know, but we can't immediately assume that they do, because that would be stereotyping and lead to harsh/invalid judgements. Most children are brought up with good manners and have experienced a life where women are treated quite equal in comparison to men. Obviously there are a select few who are butthurt but these are the minority.

There are websites like that, well because there are websites like that. All the men on those websites are there for that purpose but it still doesn't mean that because such things exist that it should scare you; there are people you just won't like and they won't like you. I hate women who say its women hating when an issue of male sexism is brought up, it really makes my blood boil
Well unfortunately you are just very unobservant or are deliberately ignoring what happens frequently here.

Not too long ago, I was debating with someone who kept on reiterating that women added nothing to a relationship except to care for the home and give birth. Literally.

And he wasn't trolling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The same individual who says Im lazy for wanting to work part time in order to manage my bipolar disorder

I on't know why he thinks his views belong in modern western society. Why does he say? I'm sure Saudi Arabia would love to have him :dontknow:
Reply 83
will comment later. got to go out & earn money to pay for sex.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Makes sense really, but it would be interesting to have a comparison to other groups that were the historically the non-dominant group.. and whether they had similar in-group bias..

I would guess that most of these 'persecuted' groups, minority races, LGBT groups, gender groups etc - would exhibit the same effect, agreeing and siding with each other more strongly.. reasoning why should be obvious enough..

the vast majority men were plenty oppressed by the ruling classes for 99% of history too, used as hard labor donkeys and cannon fodder, there's a giant thread about it on this forum.

but either way, does that make it ok though? agreeing with the sisterhood, wrong or right? you know who else acts this way? the mafia. wise guy's always right. even when they're wrong they're right.

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by MJ1012
Have you ever thought they might just be trolling.

Anyway, the term "misogynist" is more over used than "white knights". I've genuinely seen people in this thread complain that another is "just full of misogynists" when I've seen one misogynist comment if that.

Anyone that argues against modern feminism = misogynist
Anyone that talks about mens rights = misogynist
Anyone that mentions that we shouldn't convict someone who hasn't been proven of rape= misogynist.

But the point is I disagree with your last three statements. I'm not referring at all to them, I'm talking about genuine male users who take it upon themselves to insult and degrade the entire female gender with their generalisations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
They could be trolling.

Then just ignore them. :curious:
The obviously misogynistic comments (massively over exaggerated in quantity BTW unless the mods are better than I thought) are clearly trolling. They continue to do so because some people can't understand they might not be serious and make stupid threads like this...
Original post by Ronove
Where is your need to shut down this discussion coming from?

Yeah, I don't get it either.
Reply 88
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
No it isn't. What it's saying is that while society is institutionally discriminatory, there cannot be equality. By ignoring that, you're ignoring what it currently happeningIt isn't the past

Can you link to any of it

And here is the disagreement, and we'll find ourselves at an impasse. There is little institutional discrimination against women in modern Western society, you'll find it balanced by the discrimination men face. I'll stop you before you try to bring up 'rape culture' or 'the patriarchy' because again, these are narratives few outside of the clique of modern 'Feminism' accept, but going on past experience you will not consider that they do not exist and I will not indulge you by pretending they do.

And no, I can't, I haven't saved the threads and I really can't be bothered to trawl through TSR to try and find them, but I'm sure you've seen them, I see you in every thread even vaguely related to sexism, feminism, misandry etc.
Reply 89
You claim she was yelling. That was an exaggeration.

The way you tell her to calm down just comes off as paternalistic. It sounds like you think any time she is arguing a point, she is on the verge of having some sort of psychotic break. It's bizarre and patronising and makes me cringe to read it. Heaven forbid she uses caps lock in a post. Better tell her to stop that, she might burst a blood vessel.
Reply 90
But the point is I disagree with your last three statements. I'm not referring at all to them, I'm talking about genuine male users who take it upon themselves to insult and degrade the entire female gender with their generalisations.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree that that is commonplace, and the most offensive ones are clearly trolls.
Original post by Robbie242
What I find backwards is the amount of women agreeing with your OP though, so many men are nice to women on here compared to other sites. I don't agree with censorship so I'm not going to support your point, but I respect your opinion

We don't know, but we can't immediately assume that they do, because that would be stereotyping and lead to harsh/invalid judgements. Most children are brought up with good manners and have experienced a life where women are treated quite equal in comparison to men. Obviously there are a select few who are butthurt but these are the minority.

There are websites like that, well because there are websites like that. All the men on those websites are there for that purpose but it still doesn't mean that because such things exist that it should scare you; there are people you just won't like and they won't like you. I hate women who say its women hating when an issue of male sexism is brought up, it really makes my blood boil

OMG. I did not say ALL men and neither did they, please, please just read and understand what. I. Am. Saying.

And of course I'm not actually terrified of this because the truth is I haven't even seen this sort of behaviour in real life, that's my point. I'm just worried that many more men than we know actually think like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
OMG. I did not say ALL men and neither did they, please, please just read and understand what. I. Am. Saying.

And of course I'm not actually terrified of this because the truth is I haven't even seen this sort of behaviour in real life, that's my point. I'm just worried that many more men than we know actually think like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how can you make such a wild claim?

even the most serious posts may be written by trolls
Reply 93
Original post by MJ1012
The obviously misogynistic comments (massively over exaggerated in quantity BTW unless the mods are better than I thought) are clearly trolling. They continue to do so because some people can't understand they might not be serious and make stupid threads like this...

I have known people with similar views in real life. They tend to nurse those views while feeling particularly disenchanted with relationships and/or society in general. Why do you think some of the people posting backwards views on TSR don't actually hold these views?
:sigh:

Do you lack basic reading skills?

I deliberately said that the fact that these opinions are not present in real life means that in reality a lot of men might harbour such attitudes towards women and are using an anonymous forum to voice them.

I KNOW that in real life, no one says this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again.

You think the opinion of a few people on TSR means a lot of men in real life have the same opinion?

Really?
Reply 95
Well unfortunately you are just very unobservant or are deliberately ignoring what happens frequently here.

Not too long ago, I was debating with someone who kept on reiterating that women added nothing to a relationship except to care for the home and give birth. Literally.

And he wasn't trolling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I see the odd thread that could be classed as somewhat misogynistic, but I see as many bemoaning the awful state of 'misogyny on TSR.' I wouldn't say it's a constant problem, though it does happen sometimes. It's no more a 'constant' problem than the few anti-Semitic threads we get every month.

Which is why I asked if you could show me a few examples, to show that it is 'constant,' being as you felt strongly enough to make a thread about it I had assumed you'd have a little evidence.

Oh, and by the way, I've seen it posted that men add nothing to a relationship and even that men are unnecessary to the future of the human race by female posters on here. I've also seen female posters laugh about male genial mutilation, I've yet to see a male poster seriously make a joke about FGM in a serious thread :fyi:
Original post by MJ1012

I'm not sure about all of them

Original post by Steevee
And here is the disagreement, and we'll find ourselves at an impasse. There is little institutional discrimination against women in modern Western society, you'll find it balanced by the discrimination men face. I'll stop you before you try to bring up 'rape culture' or 'the patriarchy' because again, these are narratives few outside of the clique of modern 'Feminism' accept, but going on past experience you will not consider that they do not exist and I will not indulge you by pretending they do.

And no, I can't, I haven't saved the threads and I really can't be bothered to trawl through TSR to try and find them, but I'm sure you've seen them, I see you in every thread even vaguely related to sexism, feminism, misandry etc.

The disrimination that men face though is as a result of patriarchy, which benefits no one except posh white dudes. You don't think there's institutional sexism? Really?

Funny, vecause I can link to what I'm on about

Original post by Ronove
You claim she was yelling. That was an exaggeration.

The way you tell her to calm down just comes off as paternalistic. It sounds like you think any time she is arguing a point, she is on the verge of having some sort of psychotic break. It's bizarre and patronising and makes me cringe to read it. Heaven forbid she uses caps lock in a post. Better tell her to stop that, she might burst a blood vessel.

Thank you.
Reply 97
Original post by Robbie242

How is assuming that someone actually holds the view they are putting forward on the internet and claiming to hold 'stereotyping'? What are you even talking about?
Reply 98
Original post by Ronove
I have known people with similar views in real life. They tend to nurse those views while feeling particularly disenchanted with relationships and/or society in general. Why do you think some of the people posting backwards views on TSR don't actually hold these views?

Because many of the complainers were commenting that they "never experience this is real life."
I was pointing out the concept of trolling, it doesn't mean people do hold these opinions just because they post on the internet.
Reply 99
Original post by Ronove
How is assuming that someone actually holds the view they are putting forward on the internet and claiming to hold 'stereotyping'? What are you even talking about?

> Claiming that every user who writes stuff that would be considered as ''women hating'' is a ''women hater''

That is stereotyping every user who posts things like that, even if it were to be found out that they were a troll

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending