Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I will be studying abroad next academic year and have a couple of questions regarding the travel grant.

I am aware that you pay the first £303 towards flights, visas, medical expenses, insurance etc and you are eligible for 3 returns flights to and from the UK, but how does the whole process work?

For example, before my departure, I bought 3 return flights to and from North America and also paid for my visas and medical insurance. Would they return ALL costs minus £303?

Or is the grant for each separate return flight, visa application and medical insurance or would they refund the cost minus £303 if I paid for them all in one go?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am pretty sure my advisor said it's each thing separately. So they will reimburse you for each flight that goes over £303 and visa if it costs more than £303 etc etc. You can't just bunk everything as one 'travel expense' unfortunately!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I did mine a bit differently to you as I couldn't afford to book all 3 return flights at once and also wasn't really sure if I would be back for christmas etc. So the £303 goes towards each flight I think. As in, I paid for my flights, visas, insurance etc, and I paid about £900 for my return flight (getting to Mexico City is expensive!), about £20 for my visa, my insurance was a lot, I can't exactly remember how much, probably£200-£300 (they only reimburse you for the medical part of that though). I got about £700-800 from them as a grant.
    This probably wasn't very clear but what I mean to say is that it's not £303 you pay towards your total costs, you pay that towards each flight, and then they give you the difference for the flight, the cost of visas and a percentage of your insurance cost as well. Hope that helps!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.