The Student Room Group

Is this image racist?

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

I on't know the context, but I can definitely see why it would be considered racist. I don't really know enough whether it is or not, an I'm not a POC, however it is definitely borderline racist
Reply 2
Seems like a libtard image to create guilt.
Reply 3
roman abromovich's girlfriend...om nom nom
Reply 4
Depends on what the context and intention behind the image is, of course.
Could just be a lovely interracial couple having kinky fun for all we know.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I on't know the context, but I can definitely see why it would be considered racist. I don't really know enough whether it is or not, an I'm not a POC, however it is definitely borderline racist

The woman in the image is being interviewed by a fashion blog for her new fashion magazine so it's a promotional photoshoot.

Would you think it was racist if it was the other way around?
Reply 6
It looks it tbh, but I wonder how that black lady can justify doing that :dontknow:
Original post by Maximillion.
The woman in the image is being interviewed by a fashion blog for her new fashion magazine so it's a promotional photoshoot.

Would you think it was racist if it was the other way around?

It could also be racist the other way around. I don't really like the idea of a white woman wearing white sitting on a black woman in black, or vice versa, it looks as if they've been used for their race to make a statement
Context is important, however I would say it really isn't. The model happens to be black, but so what? If they were both white I doubt anybody would have any objections to that image. Should she have not chosen the model because she's black? That would be discriminatory.

People are way to sensitive, it's quite pathetic.
Reply 9
Original post by 2ndClass
It looks it tbh, but I wonder how that black lady can justify doing that :dontknow:

It's a plastic mannequin. Granted it looks real though. :biggrin:
Reply 10
Looks like a chair to me?
Reply 11

Spoiler

Racist? No. In extremely poor taste? Yes.
Reply 12
Thats not even a real woman isn't it just a chair? Pretty racist chair, seems overly caricatured and its not cool to play on black slavery for fashion. Id like to think that a fashion shoot revolving around images evocative of the holocaust or female selective infanticide would not be seen as ok and similarly neither is this image.

You don't think it is racist ? then you must be a racist yourself or just plain stupid, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter.

It could also be racist the other way around. I don't really like the idea of a white woman wearing white sitting on a black woman in black, or vice versa, it looks as if they've been used for their race to make a statement

Now it seems to sink it, that this picture is indeed racist but you still need someone to reassure you because you remain indecisive.

Spoiler

do you think it is racist ?
Original post by Maths and cheesecake
You don't think it is racist ? then you must be a racist yourself or just plain stupid, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and go with the latter.

Now it seems to sink it, that this picture is indeed racist but you still need someone to reassure you because you remain indecisive.

do you think it is racist ?

Why the hell would I be stupid for saying it's borderline racist but the context may change it? Like someone else said it could be some kinky interracial ****, which wouldn't be racist. Without the context, we don't know. But it does LOOK racist
Reply 15
Thats not a real woman its too solid and shiny looking in places, nice pair of boobs on it though fake or not :tongue: lol

I dont think its racist, its a bit weired but not racist, unless it was implying somthing rather sinister.
Original post by 2ndClass

Just to interject. I think it's important to note that this is a chair. Not a real black woman. EveryDaySexism tweeted an article about it, so I knew a while ago. :tongue:

That's pretty vital to know.
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
Context is important, however I would say it really isn't. The model happens to be black, but so what? If they were both white I doubt anybody would have any objections to that image. Should she have not chosen the model because she's black? That would be discriminatory.

People are way to sensitive, it's quite pathetic.

It's a chair. Not a person. :tongue:
Original post by redferry
Thats not even a real woman isn't it just a chair? Pretty racist chair, seems overly caricatured and its not cool to play on black slavery for fashion. Id like to think that a fashion shoot revolving around images evocative of the holocaust or female selective infanticide would not be seen as ok and similarly neither is this image.

Yeah I agree. I think it's racist.
Why the hell would I be stupid for saying it's borderline racist but the context may change it? Like someone else said it could be some kinky interracial ****, which wouldn't be racist. Without the context, we don't know. But it does LOOK racist

IT doesn't matter what context you put this image in tbh, you are a racist for thinking that it matters, the context does not change the disgusting image.

This image is, disturbingly perverted and demeaning to women and particularly black women, therefor it is a grossly anti-woman and racist at that.

Quick Reply

Latest