Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here's my situation: I'm Polish and had been doing the regular Polish curriculum until I was 15. Then I started my IB program and I've only had classes in English ever since. I'm planning to study in the UK after I'm done with my exams and I'm seriously considering the Arabic & Chinese combo as my degree, although I've been thinking seriously about Russian, Japanese and Spanish (but only in cojunction with a more obscure language). Now, my name and my accent are some obvious giveaways that I'm not a native speaker of English (although the former a little less so, and my accent, if a bit foreign, is not blatantly thick) and I'm afraid that I will not be trusted with any translations other than Polish-English ones. Or is it going to be alright when it comes to written translation and issues will arise with interpretation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slavanna)
    Here's my situation: I'm Polish and had been doing the regular Polish curriculum until I was 15. Then I started my IB program and I've only had classes in English ever since. I'm planning to study in the UK after I'm done with my exams and I'm seriously considering the Arabic & Chinese combo as my degree, although I've been thinking seriously about Russian, Japanese and Spanish (but only in cojunction with a more obscure language). Now, my name and my accent are some obvious giveaways that I'm not a native speaker of English (although the former a little less so, and my accent, if a bit foreign, is not blatantly thick) and I'm afraid that I will not be trusted with any translations other than Polish-English ones. Or is it going to be alright when it comes to written translation and issues will arise with interpretation?
    Why would anyone disregard you as a translator? As long as you know the language up to an advanced level, you are equally eligible to compete with native speakers of that particular language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slavanna)
    Hallo Jak sie masz?
    I am sure you could become a translator as long as you know your stuff and have the right qualification for it.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.