The Student Room Group

Tuition Fee refunds....

In hospitals, or other areas of life, you sue for compensation if things go wrong ....

If you have a bad lecturer at Uni should you be able to reclaim your tuition fees or more, claim compensation ?

When it was free I could understand people not complaining much but now that we pay we should, I think, be entitled to a red carpet service or a refund.
Reply 1
Not unless the lctures don't even conform to teh basic standard. Other than that then you shouldn't. Even then tehre is no hope of even getting your fees back, let alone more.
You might be an ambulance chaser but most people despise those whose first thought whenever anything goes wrong in their lives is how much com pen say shun they can grab off the taxpayer.

Dream on...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
sad - pay about £10,000 over 3 or 4 years and have no redress.
Reply 4
Our lecturer couldn't even work powerpoint... we are first years in Computer Forensics.. awkward :/
Reply 5
NUS are involved in the Office of Fair Trading's investigation into this very issue: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-24612415.

I asked David Willetts about it at a conference about a year ago and he was of the opinion that if you are deliberately 'mis-sold' or the institution doesn't live up to its commitments, then you are covered by the same consumer rights as any other product or service. That was on the advice of somebody he'd spoken to mind; OFT may well say otherwise.

Interestingly, the University of Nottingham does have procedures for obtaining financial reimbursement through the official Complaints Procedures. I've sat in on a lot of student academic appeals and offences cases, but not any complaints hearings or discussions, so I'd be interested to know if anybody has tested it here where they feel they've not 'got their money's worth', for want of a better phrase. I suspect it was intended more for when you've specifically bought a product, paid a fine, etc, rather than to reimburse tuition fees, but nothing stops it applying..
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending