Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ere right. I'm doing an EPQ and a big part of it is about public opinion on paedophiles, and whether the public feel they should be rehabilitated (like they are now), or handled in some other way, e.g. life imprisonment, chemical castration, or capital punishment.
    Soooo yeah I'm gonna call this a survey and hope for the best. Please help me!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what the answer is, as locking them up for life isn't ideal. I don't believe they can be rehabilitated though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They're rehabilitated? What a piss-take. These filthy scumbags should never be allowed back into society.

ReputationRep:
    They are a danger to society. If they take advantage of innocent children, they should lose their human rights. I think castration is definitely necessary

ReputationRep:
    In some respects, they're similar to how gays are regarding being unable to control their attraction or feelings towards something.

Like gays, I don't think pedophiles should be persecuted or put in jail just for having feelings. They should be able to come out with how they feel, and treated the same as anyone else.

The crime should be in their actions, not their feelings that they have little control over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-Mudaari)
    In some respects, they're similar to how gays are regarding being unable to control their attraction or feelings towards something.

Like gays, I don't think pedophiles should be persecuted or put in jail just for having feelings. They should be able to come out with how they feel, and treated the same as anyone else.

The crime should be in their actions, not their feelings that they have little control over.
    here's the difference in their actions, paedophilia is one sided since a child cannot consent when they are involved in a sexual act.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I presume you're talking about child sexual abusers, not just paedophiles in general. Paedophiles can no more help being attracted to children than gay people can help being attracted to the same sex. I feel very sorry for paedophiles who do not abuse children, as it must be a terrible burden to have such feelings and have to keep them secret. As for child sexual abusers I feel that rehabilitation in prison followed by careful monitoring and lifelong restrictions on unsupervised contact with under 18s is appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is a difficult topic, and it's very short-sighted to just go 'they're disgusting, lock them up and castrate them'. Whilst obviously it's wrong to molest or otherwise sexually exploit a child under the age of consent, and that is an absolute that cannot change, we need to look at the bigger picture.

Paedophiles do not want to be paedophiles and they do not control their sexual direction. It's likely induced via some kind of childhood trauma. Essentially, paedophiles have to lock up their sexuality all the time (necessarily) and that is the opposite of what humans were made to do, hence it is so easy for a paedophile to, for want of a better phrase, 'give in to temptation' when in a position of trust. It's the same reason some celibate gay priests molest altar boys. Being shut in like that doesn't work. And then, when their willpower snaps and they commit the (extremely wrong and harmful) act of satisfying their sexual urges, they're told that they're the scum of the earth and should die.

I would not go as far as to say that paedophiles are blameless, but I do believe we should recognise that in the same position as them we might not be able to contain our willpower. The way forward is not just going 'oh they're scum' and leaving it at that - to protect children, but also to help them, we should be working on trying to synthesise effective therapies and cures.

Also, as an LGBT person, I know a lot of gay people get very offended at the analogy of paedophiles being like gay people, but in terms of orientation the analogy is accurate - they can't control how they feel. Obviously, though, homosexual acts are (almost always) consensual, whilst paedophilic acts can never be.

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with paedophiles, it's hardly illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Are we talking about paedophiles or actual child molestors?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't see the sense in persecuting people for something they can't control. Despite Al-Mudaari's inevitable attempt to orient the thread towards discussion of how gays are the scum of the earth, I pretty much concur with his analysis re paedophilia (shock horror! :eek:). Paedophiles can't help who they are attracted to and so it's wrong to hang them out to dry for that, but it's unacceptable for them to act on their desires from a paternalistic point of view as the overwhelming majority of children under the age of 16 are not mature enough to understand sex or consent to it, and risk suffering significant harm if paedophilia were allowed. This is of course where the tangent to homosexuality splits off - although they're both uncontrollable sexual desires, paedophilia need be criminalised simply to protect vulnerable potential victims (not because it's necessarily inherently wrong on the part of the perpetrator); whereas with homosexuality there's no need to criminalise it as the participants are willing and capable of understanding what they're doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutaud15)
    here's the difference in their actions, paedophilia is one sided since a child cannot consent when they are involved in a sexual act.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just ignore the troll. I'm surprised he hasn't been banned yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donkey23)
    They are a danger to society. If they take advantage of innocent children, they should lose their human rights. I think castration is definitely necessary
    I have no respect for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al-Mudaari)

This may sound "odd" but for once, you actually have a fair point (BUT I'd imagine it's not the reason you want) Paedophiles can't help who they're attracted to, but for the most part, they're "sane" so they know that a child can not REALLY consent to any thing, so that's why it's illegal

ReputationRep:
    Being a paedophile is actually an unfortunate psychological disorder and no one chooses to have it more than they choose to have depression or dementia. Obviously though they can choose to act upon it and that is barbaric and unthinkably horrid and the type of paedophilia we see in the media all the time.

But in reality there will be far more paedophiles who haven't acted upon it and instead deal with the inner turmoil of it and I think more should be done to identify and help these individuals before they can possibly act upon their disorder.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think paedophilia will become legal within a few decades in this secular society. Everyone used to have strong negative emotions towards gays a few decades back and now they have been accepted into society.

ReputationRep:
    They should be first and foremost rehabilitated; after all they can't help their feelings and they need help to reduce the likelihood of fantasy leading to action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravishingrick69)
    I have no respect for you
    Thank you, much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, paedophiles are an extreme danger to society and should be sent to prison for the horrific, vile and disgusting perverted acts that they perform and make children do.

However, locking people up for 24 hours a day isn't going to have any good or positive effects on that person and it could have extreme effects on them psychologically and detrimental effects on their mental health; so if you lock them up like that for a long time you can't just release them because they could be more dangerous with their mental health.

Therefore, whilst in prison it might be better to help the paedophiles see what they've done wrong and why through rehabilitation.

There is no excuse though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.