Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I have been given an unfair disaplinery hearing on Thursday. Any advice? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I've been working for this company as a customer assistant for 7 weeks now and on Saturday an incident happened in which me and the security guard (who by the well is awful at his job) had an argument on the shop floor and so he decided to go and make a complaint. The problem is that what's been written on the letter that I was given is partly false as it states things that didn't happen. I had given my statement but it seems to have been completely ignored and they only believe whatever he has told. There was a colleague witness and they haven't even asked for her side of the story and they're just taking the guard's word for it due to his longer position at the store. How is that fair?

My assistant manager (who all of my colleagues complain about as he is also awful) was refusing to tell me what is even happening at the hearing even though I kept insisting that I need to know in order to prepare. I'm planning on bringing along with me the witness so they can help my case. I mean is it fair to discipline me just by his word. It wouldn't work in court like that so why here? I was also told that I must listen to anyone senior than me including security as I was told that I cannot tell him what to do even though he does the same for me. Is that even true?

If you have any questions please ask, and what can I do to help my case?

EDIT: ignore the bad spelling int he title (lol)

ReputationRep:
    BUMP this is kind of urgent!

ReputationRep:
    Your right of redress in company internal disciplinary is whatever is stated in the company policies. You have to go through internal grievance procedures first. If you feel you have not been fairly treated, you should raise that during the procedure and afterward with HR and your union if you have one. You have no redress in law until internal procedures have been exhausted.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that they're adhering to the minimum standards to conduct a disciplinary hearing. If they fire or suspend you, you'll have a strong case against them. However, to avoid getting to that point, demand from HR instructions on how the disciplinary hearing will be conducted and take not only your witness but also another colleague to be your advocate. It's better if someone else speaks on your behalf at these things as you're more likely to get into an argument.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies Clip and AW1983. Excuse my ignorance but exactly who or what are HR and if I take a colleague as well as the witness along with me, what exactly would their part to play be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K-Elyas)
    Thanks for your replies Clip and AW1983. Excuse my ignorance but exactly who or what are HR and if I take a colleague as well as the witness along with me, what exactly would their part to play be?
    HR = Human recourses - they handle disciplinary. - and whether its true or not - the company are duty bound to investigate such claims

Ok firstly your witness that is their with you is there purely to ensure you dont get bullied they are not allowed to say anything or lead you or prompt or anything.

The witness to your event will be given a hearing the same as yours but not when you are in the room with them.

Oh and rocking the boat at 7 weeks having a row with a security guard who has many years more experience than you - no matter how "useless" he is, hes a hell of a lot more knowledgeable about the workplace than you.

Unless you have a full on contract (unlikely as youd still be in probabtion) your rights are as follow - put up, shup up or get out, plenty more people want your job. Now your employment contract may be different so i suggest you read it.

(Original post by AW1983)
    I don't think that they're adhering to the minimum standards to conduct a disciplinary hearing. If they fire or suspend you, you'll have a strong case against them. However, to avoid getting to that point, demand from HR instructions on how the disciplinary hearing will be conducted and take not only your witness but also another colleague to be your advocate. It's better if someone else speaks on your behalf at these things as you're more likely to get into an argument.
    Also ignore the idea of unfair dismissal - you most certainly cannot make one of them with only 7 weeks service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    HR = Human recourses - they handle disciplinary. - and whether its true or not - the company are duty bound to investigate such claims

Ok firstly your witness that is their with you is there purely to ensure you dont get bullied they are not allowed to say anything or lead you or prompt or anything.

The witness to your event will be given a hearing the same as yours but not when you are in the room with them.

Oh and rocking the boat at 7 weeks having a row with a security guard who has many years more experience than you - no matter how "useless" he is, hes a hell of a lot more knowledgeable about the workplace than you.

Unless you have a full on contract (unlikely as youd still be in probabtion) your rights are as follow - put up, shup up or get out, plenty more people want your job. Now your employment contract may be different so i suggest you read it.

Also ignore the idea of unfair dismissal - you most certainly cannot make one of them with only 7 weeks service.
    Okay, thanks for being so direct, it's great to hear. Just wish me luck for tomorrow!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.