Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im bit confused because some modules start in feb while others start in oct, but the oct modules end in may/june so doesnt that mean theres a lot of overlap between module start/end dates??

eg..to study full time, at 120 credits, would one sign up for 120 credits in oct, study until may or june, then you have july - sept off? Please explain, thanks someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomas5)
    Im bit confused because some modules start in feb while others start in oct, but the oct modules end in may/june so doesnt that mean theres a lot of overlap between module start/end dates??

eg..to study full time, at 120 credits, would one sign up for 120 credits in oct, study until may or june, then you have july - sept off? Please explain, thanks someone
    Most modules which originally started in Feb are now moving to an October start. Yes, sometimes there is an overlap of modules, this can be an advantage, but I only do between 60 and 70 credits. I would not want to do 120, but good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The academic year starts in Sept/Oct, like other universities. Yep, there will be overlap if you want to do 120 points at once. I would suggest having 60 start in Oct and 60 start in Feb to be honest, which will be less overwhelming but does mean you don't get any time off. Organise your time well though and it's not like you'll be studying every day (well, I never have).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think they're gradually shunting the February starts to October; but actually the overlap is quite helpful if you're doing two modules (as you get to spend a good chunk of the year with only one on the go so can concentrate on it more fully).

ReputationRep:
    For year one modules, which are pass/fail, if you are happy with the material then 120 is probably OK. The pass mark was 40% if I recall correctly.

If you are motivated, have good background knowledge, and are able to commit 10-20 hours a week then you should ask for an exception to the credit limit rule if necessary.

I don't recall any exams for my first year modules that caused a schedule crunch... but yours might differ....

I really think that the first year modules are excellent and well paced. However my feeling is that you would struggle to pass, or score well below your "true potential" if you had more than 2 exams in one examinations period for year 2 or 3 modules.

They get a lot harder at each step up, and there are some true shockers, in which less than 10% get top grades, and you definitely don't want to be under pressure when facing the nasty exams.

Particularly as the final degree classification is highly weighted towards year 3 results.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tolland)
    ...my feeling is that you would struggle to pass, or score well below your "true potential" if you had more than 2 exams in one examinations period for year 2 or 3 modules.

They get a lot harder at each step up, and there are some true shockers, in which less than 10% get top grades, and you definitely don't want to be under pressure when facing the nasty exams.
    Bear in mind, though, that depending on what the OP intends to study they may not have any exams. (Although admittedly I wouldn't fancy tackling two EMAs at the same time...)

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.