Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who has the best credit card 'deal'? watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which bank has the best 'deal' for credit cards at the moment?

I'm twenty-seven and currently paying off a student overdraft and a credit card.

The reason I am asking is because I need to pay for a training course to gain a certificate before I can apply for a particular job; the course is a little over £600, but I would need funds for travel (Edinburgh to Aberdeen) and accommodation and food for five days. If I get the job - which I'm sure I would - I would have the course cost refunded to me in my first wage.

Any help or advice would be very appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best for balance transfer (current debt will be paid back on new card at 0%) is Barclaycard which offers 0% for 29 months followed by MBNA which offers 0% also for 29 months likewise as does Tesco.

If you don't wish to balance transfer, maybe a reward card would be better?

For airlines, British Airways have two American Express offerings as well as Lloyds Bank Duo Avios. Emirates, Etihad and Virgin Atlantic also have a decent offering on their cards. The British Airways American Express cards are the best in terms of long standing bonuses although currently Virgin Atlantic offer 25,000 miles on their black card which is the best current offer for airline cards I believe.

For hotels if you stay at Starwood properties, the best rewards card currently is the SPG from American Express which come with enough points for a trip to Europe on BA, followed by the Hilton HHonors credit card that gets you a free night at £750 spend.

If you can, get at least one airline and one hotel credit card or alternatively, get the American Express Gold Reward card which is the best all around rewards card although it's a charge card.

Personally I have the AMEX Gold (and Platinum), Etihad and Starwood credit cards (although I'll be ditching the Starwood in favour of the AMEX Gold). Seriously look into rewards cards as they'll earn you some great rewards if used wisely.

ReputationRep:
    It confuses me quite a bit, I won't lie.

I'm not looking to really gain any rewards or to keep using it after what I need it for; I plan on using it for a quick fix, if I'm really honest.

So does that change anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by audienceandaudio)

I'm not looking to really gain any rewards or to keep using it after what I need it for; I plan on using it for a quick fix, if I'm really honest.

Why don't you want rewards? The best thing about having credit cards, is the rewards. Do you fly a lot or do you stay in hotels a lot? Go for one of the options in my post or just get a bog standard credit card, any lender will do then as you won't be getting perks, you asked for the best deals, I told you so it's up to you now.

ReputationRep:
    I know... I suppose I was just looking for some 'bog standard' advice, though I should have said that before. Apologies for coming across as thick; I really appreciate the time you've taken to discuss this.

I don't haven't flown in years, but would hope to start again this year. As for hotels... no, not really. I suppose that could change though eh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So what do you mean by 'deal'?

Low rate? Thats only useful if you won't be paying it off at the end of the month.

Just get one with your current bank if you want an easy life

Amex ftw though.

ReputationRep:
    nationwide have a pretty low rate one, but I think you need to be one of their existing current account members with so much going in (not 100% sure on that)

are any of the barclay ones good?

(Original post by Quady)
    Not actually a credit card.
    Yes, I stated that earlier in my post, I was just saying what I had for comparisons sake. Learn to read.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou to everyone for all the information and advice. I suppose I'll know best just by going to the bank and talking to someone.

As just another little question; if my current credit card is being paid back to a collections company, would this be a problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As just another little question; if my current credit card is being paid back to a collections company, would this be a problem?
    Yes. I presume you defaulted? You'll not be getting good credit any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou to everyone for all the information and advice. I suppose I'll know best just by going to the bank and talking to someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most definitely, you probably won't qualify for 90% of all credit cards especially those that are considered a good deal.

ReputationRep:
    I can't find the way to quote on my phone, so, apologies.

Let's just say that an ex royally ****ed me over and I've been left with the mess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.