Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I would like to go to Sheffield University to study Japanese History and Culture because Japanese history is always something that has interested me and it also qualifies me to teach History. The entry requirements are ABB including History. I am currently taking Graphics, ICT and History at A level, I am confident I can get a A in ICT and a B in Graphics however History I don't think I'm able to obtain a B by the end of A levels (currently studying AS). Was just wondering if I got a D at AS how hard it is it to bring that up to a B by the end of A2?

Also, don't complain saying Japanese History is useless. I couldn't care less, it's something I want to do and I'd rather do a course that I enjoy than do something for 4 years that I hate.

ReputationRep:
    It is doable but its a very pessimistic and risky way of looking at things. The best thing for you to do is to put the effort now to get as high grade as possible at AS so that your A2 is less stressful. Also A2s do get harder and unless your attitude to work changes, you will have a hard time bringing up a grade D from AS to Grade B from A2.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, unlike highschool and GCSEs I'm starting to revise. I would like to get a good grade by the end of AS but my predicted grade is D/E. My GCSE results weren't the best (10 Cs and 1B) the B was in History.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that you have a goal (get the grades to do the degree you want to do) should help you motivate yourself to do enough work to boost your predicted grades and in the summer to get you nice AS results. Remember that doing past papers and marking them with the mark schemes should improve your answer structure, timing and exam technique which will hopefully improve your grade. All in all it does come down to the effort that you put in, but if you manage to get good AS grades, A2 will be a lot less stressful, It is worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me I need these grades this year and I wish I had the same work ethic I am currently employing last year- life would have been much easier and now in order to really boost my grades higher than ABB I am having to spend around 60 pounds in resits! Moral of the story is prepare for the exam first time around, achieve the highest grades then and avoid paying for it later- AS is far easier for example especially law, which now having looked back at the questions, wondering how I did so wrong! Just put some effort in now and really consolidate your progress next year

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked with Sheffield that your A level subjects are okay - I think they require a couple of "traditional" subjects for a lot of courses. It would be worth checking with them if you haven't already.

Good luck with your studies - a friend of mine did some Japanese history as part of her course and loved it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah history is definitely and ICT is counted when combined with a course in the respected list (History).

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.