Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to achieve a 2.1 in 3rd year, after getting a 3rd in 2nd? watch

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I am studying LLB Law at Westminster University, and in my 2nd year I achieved 46%, and was wondering if I still have a chance of achieving a 2.1 as my final grade?

Also if your retaking a whole module, i.e going to summer school, can you achieve any grade in that module or is the grade capped at 40%.

Thanks for any info.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eimakv09)
    At the moment I am studying LLB Law at Westminster University, and in my 2nd year I achieved 46%, and was wondering if I still have a chance of achieving a 2.1 as my final grade?

Also if your retaking a whole module, i.e going to summer school, can you achieve any grade in that module or is the grade capped at 40%.

Thanks for any info.
    Mathematically speaking, depends on the grading weights between 2nd and 3rd year. Assuming it't the usual 33:66 ratio then you need 69% in the 3rd year. Check the regulations. And yes fails are capped to 40. The thing is 3rd year is much harder then 2nd so why do you think you would do better ? (any proper mitigating reasons ?)

ReputationRep:
    Every Uni works out final degree classifications differently, so the only way you'll get an answer to this is asking at your own Uni. No-one here will be able to give you a definite answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dkdeath)
    Mathematically speaking, depends on the grading weights between 2nd and 3rd year. Assuming it't the usual 33:66 ratio then you need 69% in the 3rd year. Check the regulations. And yes fails are capped to 40. The thing is 3rd year is much harder then 2nd so why do you think you would do better ? (any proper mitigating reasons ?)
    This right here.

It's seeming unlikely you'll get a 2.1 but with the right sort of effort, it's possible.

ReputationRep:
    what if it is 40:60 is it still possible to get a 2.1

ReputationRep:
    Its totally possible. I mean obviously you'll have to work really hard but its not impossible at all. I graduated with a 2.1 law degree this year from a Russell Group uni. I had a pass at the end of my second year (less than 45 average), to be fair I was going through some personal stuff and was quite disturbed which is why I messed up. But I decided to turn it around in my third year, I worked really hard, got 65 plus in most of my modules, 70+ in some and graduated with a 2.1 honors. So DO NOT give up! It is possible if you want to make it happen!

ReputationRep:
    There are some online degree classification calculators available, just google it with the name of ur uni. You can enter the marks you already have and then make up marks for the one's you're going to take in ur third year to figure out exactly how much you'll need to get the desired classification.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2014
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.