Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    First of all whenever I buy a laptop despite having good ram and speed processor the peformance is always pretty lame compared to its specifications. What else should I look for in a laptop to make sure its peformance is good? Does the graphics card make a big difference-so which ones are good or should I avoid?

If I am looking to get one I could easily wait 6 months so would it be worth waiting until then-will peformance improve that much of the laptops available or should I just get one now.

Also which brands are reliable? I want to keep it as long as it peforms. Sony VAIO I like.

So essentially I want a new laptop; 1) should I wait half a year and get more peformance for my money or will they not be much better than now?

2) What kind of things should I look for in a laptop-RAM and CPU are obvious-which ones have good graphics cards etc.

I don't want to spend too much money-at most in the £600 mark. Preferably as low as possible for good peformance-I don't play games on it often, only football manager 2014 really so it doesn't have to be an absolute beast of a computer. A jack of all trades really is what I'm looking for-punchy peformance, 15 inch screen ish so portable enough to carry easy and light enough but also big enough to look at for ages.

I'd appreciate help from anyone who knows what they are on about since I evidently don't!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Moved to the Laptops section of the site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mourinho<3)
    First of all whenever I buy a laptop despite having good ram and speed processor the peformance is always pretty lame compared to its specifications. What else should I look for in a laptop to make sure its peformance is good? Does the graphics card make a big difference-so which ones are good or should I avoid?

If I am looking to get one I could easily wait 6 months so would it be worth waiting until then-will peformance improve that much of the laptops available or should I just get one now.

Also which brands are reliable? I want to keep it as long as it peforms. Sony VAIO I like.

So essentially I want a new laptop; 1) should I wait half a year and get more peformance for my money or will they not be much better than now?

2) What kind of things should I look for in a laptop-RAM and CPU are obvious-which ones have good graphics cards etc.

I don't want to spend too much money-at most in the £600 mark. Preferably as low as possible for good peformance-I don't play games on it often, only football manager 2014 really so it doesn't have to be an absolute beast of a computer. A jack of all trades really is what I'm looking for-punchy peformance, 15 inch screen ish so portable enough to carry easy and light enough but also big enough to look at for ages.

I'd appreciate help from anyone who knows what they are on about since I evidently don't!
    do you want ultrabook or ultra thin notebook?
    Think about ASUS and ACER.

ReputationRep:
    Any laptop is good unless you overfill it with bloat ware an never defragment the hard drive.
    There isn't really a big difference between i5 and i7 processors only go for i7 if you will be running demanding simulation software or do heavy photo shopping.
    A dedicated graphic cars would be nice but integrated graphics from Intel will do just fine for indie games especially the newer generation of the intel line up.. Get the laptop from Amazon, curry and PC whatever suck d*ck and only got over prizes bulk crap at stock. Integrated graphic cards from amd CPUs are very good. I3 processor from Intel do the job. Everything is fast as long as the hdd is kept clean

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaneda)
    Any laptop is good unless you overfill it with bloat ware an never defragment the hard drive.
    There isn't really a big difference between i5 and i7 processors only go for i7 if you will be running demanding simulation software or do heavy photo shopping.
    A dedicated graphic cars would be nice but integrated graphics from Intel will do just fine for indie games especially the newer generation of the intel line up.. Get the laptop from Amazon, curry and PC whatever suck d*ck and only got over prizes bulk crap at stock. Integrated graphic cards from amd CPUs are very good. I3 processor from Intel do the job. Everything is fast as long as the hdd is kept clean

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For laptop users, I strongly advice you to do with Intel, even though the AMD devices are very competitive. But the Intel in the laptop specs, variable choices, heat, CPU variation level and so on.
    I think that ASUS and ACER have been doing the best jobs to their line of product. Other competitive brands include Dell, Compaq, and Sony also considerable.

ReputationRep:
    Dell usually use the cheapest parts on their laptops but my main laptop is a dell and it still works after three years and manages to keep up with demanding games...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaneda)
    Dell usually use the cheapest parts on their laptops but my main laptop is a dell and it still works after three years and manages to keep up with demanding games...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't have laptop but I have desktop. My desktop is AMD Llano and work fine in every day usages. No playing games only online and doing some editing.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.