The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jtking3000
Is it golfer's elbow or something else?

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
I get pain in my left elbow and tricep when low bar squatting. It's a combination of poor shoulder flexibility and supporting too much of the weight with my arms. Could be the same thing for you.

I'm not sure what it is. I've had it very occasionally over the past few years from hockey when doing intense training for the drag flick (if you've ever played). Had it a bit when my bench got heavy-ish (over 80kg) but it came and went. However the past 2 squatting sessions have really aggravated it.

Could be that I'm supporting too much weight with my arms, I don't know.
Original post by Angry cucumber
You've just got a herniated disc IIRC

Surely you can get the surgery and be pain free once more?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nothings been offered to me or even mentioned by either the hospital or my physio. Maybe I'm too young for them to be fiddling down there? Who knows... I'm pretty sure I won't be able to squat or dead again though.. already been through months and months of back rehab and numerous relapses in my discs! Just doesn't seem worth it.
2s paused squats
60x5
100x5
120x3

Squats
130x1
145 5x5 PB

Incline bench
20x10
40x10
50x10
60 3x5
Couldn't go heavier due to elbow

Chins

Needed to go home
Original post by illusionz
2s paused squats
60x5
100x5
120x3

Squats
130x1
145 5x5 PB

Incline bench
20x10
40x10
50x10
60 3x5
Couldn't go heavier due to elbow

Chins

Needed to go home

Squats beltless? Higher than my beltless 5*5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Squats beltless? Higher than my beltless 5*5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't own a belt :tongue:

All my squats and deadlifts so far have been beltless. I am going to buy one soon though, should probably get knee wraps also. Oly shoes will have to wait until I have more money to burn.
Original post by illusionz
I don't own a belt :tongue:

All my squats and deadlifts so far have been beltless. I am going to buy one soon though, should probably get knee wraps also. Oly shoes will have to wait until I have more money to burn.

Damn son. You strong.

Knee sleeves, not wraps. And go sbd or Rehbands. Don't go cheap or they'll suck and you'll end up buying decent ones as well later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't see the point in knee sleeves other to add a little bit of weight to the bar

The concept of keeping a joint warm is daft imo - if you're concerned... trackies? There's no scientific basis to it, if anything with it adding compression to your knee in the way a knee wrap does it'll be more likely to injure you...

Inb4 you don't squat, you don't know etc

It a marketing gimmick imo

My two pence
I don't see the point in knee sleeves other to add a little bit of weight to the bar

The concept of keeping a joint warm is daft imo - if you're concerned... trackies? There's no scientific basis to it, if anything with it adding compression to your knee in the way a knee wrap does it'll be more likely to injure you...

My two pence

Do some yoke runs without them and then with them. Your knees will thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My two pence

Dunno what it is about them but my knees have always felt much better when I wear them.
Original post by Motorbiker
Do some yoke runs without them and then with them. Your knees will thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Jtking3000
Dunno what it is about them but my knees have always felt much better when I wear them.

Fair enough, I have no reason to believe they don't feel better. But for actually being safer I'll keep my suspicions :tongue:
Day after a new 5x5 squat PB. Wasn't planning on squatting. But a squat rack was free. I want to enter the leaderboard....

Squats
60x5 paused
100x5 paused
120x3 paused
130x2
140x1
155x5 PB

Deadlift
DOH
60x10
100x10
120x5
140x5

Mixed
160x4 Mixed grip hurt my elbow at lockout for some reason

DOH
120x8, 8

Then come CGBP at 60kg, chins, curls and chest flyes. None of which hurt elbow too much, did flyes as heavy bench hurts.
Holy ****ing wat

STOP STEALING EVERYONES GAINZ

Seriously nice going mate!

To think back to the times of whacking you repeatedly about chalk... to you squatting nearly 3.5plates for 5... mad gains!
That 155x5 didn't even look that hard. Crazy gains

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
I get pain in my left elbow and tricep when low bar squatting. It's a combination of poor shoulder flexibility and supporting too much of the weight with my arms. Could be the same thing for you.

What he said. You're probably intercepting the weight and not realising it. You could widen your grip a little, but not too much otherwise you'll shift the pain to your shoulders. Why not try pulling the bar into your back when it gets heavy. Also careful not to use your arms to rerack the bar and just walk it back in.

Shoulder flexibility. I'm still chasing that :/
Your beltless squat is now officially better than mine. What is life?

Going for 160 for 3*5, today but belted.

May try heavy beltless next week.
holy **** those are beautiful squats too

Spoiler

Tbh he's near a 200kg squat. Put a belt on next week and you'd be almost there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've said it before but I think genetics play a much bigger role in how much progress you'll make lifting (both size and strength) than many of this forum are willing to admit.

You've clearly won the genetic lottery (at least for length strength!), crazy gains :biggrin:, well done!
Original post by In One Ear
I've said it before but I think genetics play a much bigger role in how much progress you'll make lifting (both size and strength) than many of this forum are willing to admit.

You've clearly won the genetic lottery (at least for length strength!), crazy gains :biggrin:, well done!

I contemplate on this every once in a while about how a lot of people praise people's 'hard work' for athletic abilities when in fact a lot of it is seemingly pre-determined from birth. I think jumping ability iirc is a good example of this as I think I remember something about that a person can spend an entire lifetime trying to increase their vertical by 30% or so but someone with good genetics can naturally just be better. Something to do with rate of force production being mostly genetic.

I remember a video I posted a while back however that strength and muscle gains in contrast can all be achieved to a good level despite starting with bad genetics due to something called epigenetics whereby genes can be activated and deactivated during a persons lifetime to make them better at lifting for example. Basically just means that it can take a long time if you start out with crappy genes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbkofoAR6ok

If only their was a way of quantifying how much someone has overcome their genetics through actual hard and smart work.
your strength is ridiculous....
ha cheers guys <3

Decided not to gym today to give my elbow a rest. Also rest tomorrow and hockey saturday. Back on it on sunday.

Quick Reply

Latest