The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

Ah come on guys, we live in a world governed by deterministic and stochastic processes anyway, no one is really responsible for what they do so success deserves the same respect whether its the result of genetics or hard work!

inb4 free will etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Having abandoned Juggernaut, drifted for a week or two... time to get back on a proper routine.

Looked into canditos but some weeks are 5 sessions per week which I just could not make.

Have been toying with the idea of 5/3/1 BBB for a few months so taking the plunge. My reservations with the routine are that you don't actually lift very much heavy stuff so I've been a bit generous in working out my "training max". ie it's basically my actual max. Will see how it goes.

Day 1 was supposed to be bench. But I like squats.

Squats
60x3, 3 (long pause)
100x3, 3 (long pause)
120x5
132.5x5
150x5

BBB Assistance
Paused squats
82.5 x 10, 10, 10
Squats
82.5 x 10, 10

Was too tired to pause the last 2 sets,
He says to start with 5x10 of 30%... **** that. I did 5x10 of 50% assuming 1rm of 175. Paused 3 sets too because why not?

Also having done the above... I think I'll mix up the BBB assistance. That much squat volume is ****ing horrendous. I imagine deadlift would be similar. Will probably organise it so that I have a lower body 5/3/1 lift with an upper body BBB one. That way I'll be doing a form of press every workout and squats/deadlifts every workout.

Then did some facepulls and chins before going home.
(edited 9 years ago)
Sensible programming tbh, the full body workout will probs be less terrifying to do tbh

Brb unable to walk out of gym lol
Original post by Angry cucumber
Sensible programming tbh, the full body workout will probs be less terrifying to do tbh

Brb unable to walk out of gym lol

Yea, seems sensible. Taking a known programme and playing with it is a good idea.

I struggled on the stairs out of my gym the other day after 5*5 Squats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Yea, seems sensible. Taking a known programme and playing with it is a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's been so long since I've done my legs I can't remember that feeling :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the BBB article I read he said that you can mix up the assistance however you want really. The 'default' is to do the same lift as the 5/3/1 but it's quite frankly unpleasant lol. Deadlifts would probably be even worse. Plus I'd rather be hitting upper and lower every session.
Original post by illusionz
In the BBB article I read he said that you can mix up the assistance however you want really. The 'default' is to do the same lift as the 5/3/1 but it's quite frankly unpleasant lol. Deadlifts would probably be even worse. Plus I'd rather be hitting upper and lower every session.

Sensible.

When are you going to lift on which days?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sensible.

When are you going to lift on which days?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can lift any of sunday-thursday, with friday as rest before hockey and hockey on saturday. Sun/mon/weds/thurs is probably most sensible but the gym can be hellish on mondays. Realistically I think I'll end up playing it by ear depending on what time I can get out of work on monday - if I can leave early and get on a bench/rack before the rush then I'm fine.

Will do squat/bench/rest/deadlift/press I think. Assistance being press/deadlift/rest/bench/squat. If I can't get to the gym on monday then it'll be squat/rest/bench/deadlift/press. Still fine recovery wise tbh. I don't find recovery is an issue really anyway.
I can lift any of sunday-thursday, with friday as rest before hockey and hockey on saturday. Sun/mon/weds/thurs is probably most sensible but the gym can be hellish on mondays. Realistically I think I'll end up playing it by ear depending on what time I can get out of work on monday - if I can leave early and get on a bench/rack before the rush then I'm fine.

Will do squat/bench/rest/deadlift/press I think. Assistance being press/deadlift/rest/bench/squat. If I can't get to the gym on monday then it'll be squat/rest/bench/deadlift/press. Still fine recovery wise tbh. I don't find recovery is an issue really anyway.

Only thing I'd worry about is the 5/3/1 pressing the day after the BBB assistance pressing the day before. I'd stick to the same exercise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only thing I'd worry about is the 5/3/1 pressing the day after the BBB assistance pressing the day before. I'd stick to the same exercise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think I may not have made it very clear. 5/3/1 press will be on thursday and the assistance press will be on sunday.

Oh you mean bench 5/3/1 after BBB OHP.

I think I'll be ok, will see how it goes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Think I may not have made it very clear. 5/3/1 press will be on thursday and the assistance press will be on sunday.

Oh you mean bench 5/3/1 after BBB OHP.

I think I'll be ok, will see how it goes.

Yea, I meant that. I find volume even lightly kills me but try it and see what Happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never seen anyone split the assistance that way before - hitting full body 4 days a week. Guess there's nothing wrong with it if you're sure you'll be fine doing 5/3/1 bench the day after BBB press etc. though... but why don't you want to just alternate upper with upper and lower with lower e.g. 5/3/1 bench, BBB press, 5/3/1 squat, BBB dead etc.?

Also would really not advise using actual maxes for training max, think Wendler discusses lack of heavy work in beyond 5/3/1 and explicitly says not to just increase your max but to use the lower max to rack up volume and then add joker sets after. Could be wrong though!
Bench day
62.5x5
72.5x5
80x5 harder than it should have been. I've lost strength.

Elbow did not appreciate 80kg. Not at all. Concerning as it was absolutely fine yesterday. Not sure that this plan is going to work. Feel I should give my elbow a month of rest or something. Perhaps back to my idea of volume on incline with 60kg max.

Deadlift
110x10, 10, 10, 10, 10
Easy. Did DOH grip all the way through.

Didn't feel like either of the above were difficult. Perhaps the idea of doing the upper/lower split is sensible because then I'd actually be tired after two similar exercises.

Chins x 6, 5, 5, 5, 4

Curls

Chest flye machine. A chest workout which is easy on the elbows. Win.
(edited 9 years ago)
5x10 deads should not be easy :tongue: what % are you using? Should be like 50-60% of training max iirc? And how much rest?

Sad face about elbow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Implication
5x10 deads should not be easy :tongue: what % are you using? Should be like 50-60% of training max iirc? And how much rest?

Sad face about elbow :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

50% of the old 1rm I definitely could not pull now :tongue:
What do you reckon your 1rm is now roughly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
What do you reckon your 1rm is now roughly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No idea. Haven't gone heavy in too long. I think I'm going to stick to 5/3/1 progression for deads and press. Want to get back to deadlifting heavy. Bench will have to do incline stuff due to elbow. Unsure about squats. I went yesterday and was genuinely sad I wasn't squatting lol. Quite keen to do heavy squats 3x a week tbh.
Yesterday.

Squats
60x3, 3
100x3
120x3
140x3
150x3
160x4 PB
Probs would have had a 5th but didn't want to risk failing.
170x1+f
PB
First felt pretty easy, thought I'd have a 2nd. So close.

Squats felt good, new bar position, no elbow pain at all. Watching Rips video really helped. Turns out I had the bar too low, wrists bent and elbows too low.

Incline bench and chins to finish. Didn't have much time. I reckon these 3 exercises are the best full body you can do with just 3 exercises tbh. Especially given my circumstances.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yesterday.

Squats
60x3, 3
100x3
120x3
140x3
150x3
160x4 PB
Probs would have had a 5th but didn't want to risk failing.
170x1+f
PB
First felt pretty easy, thought I'd have a 2nd. So close.

Come a long way in 2.5 months :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest