The Student Room Group

illusionz' ICF blog

Scroll to see replies

When I do OHP first I take a bit of weight off on bench. I'll be going for 87.5 for 5x5 on Friday.
Original post by SuperHuman98
I’m catching up to you on Bench Press :colone: (or maybe you are going light to prevent elbow pain).
The deadlift is actually disgusting
:colondollar:

I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised how fast all the strength has come back. Bench is almost back to where I was now, OHP too. Need to ensure I have a proper routine and get myself to a comfortable 2/1 plates for reps, respectively.

Squats are lagging comparatively but I think if I do 3x5 I should have the motivation to progress them. They're just so unenjoyable. In contrast I enjoy deadlifts, and know that I'll progress the deadlift faster if I do it on days I'm not squatting.
Original post by Angry cucumber
The deadlift is actually disgusting
(edited 4 years ago)
Also, contemplating jumping on creatine (the monohydrate form not the slang form). Have never bothered with it before, do people reckon it actually makes a difference?

And point in waiting until I stall or should I just go for it now?
Original post by illusionz
Also, contemplating jumping on creatine (the monohydrate form not the slang form). Have never bothered with it before, do people reckon it actually makes a difference?

For most people it adds 1 or 2 extra reps. Which in the long run adds up.

I was on it for nearly 2 months, 5g a day. I felt stronger on accessorie definitely and probably compounds.

I do know for sure that my biceps definitely felt “fuller”/bigger.

Creatine is pretty cheap though so might as well give it a go
Original post by illusionz

Pros
Gives you another rep or so I found

Cons
You will put on several kilos of water weight
You need to up your water intake by 50%
Anything other than sprinting becomes utterly miserable cardio wise
Risk of stomach cramps
(edited 4 years ago)
Hmm. I'm already heavy enough tbh at high 80s. Not sure I need to go into the 90s again.

I also drink like 4+ litres of water a day as it is - air con inside and sweaty humidity outside.

Playing hockey twice a week means I wonder about effects on cardio. Will look into that.
Pros
Gives you another rep or so I found

Cons
You will put on several kilos of water weight
You need to up your water intake by 50%
Anything other than sprinting becomes utterly miserable cardio wise
Risk of stomach cramps
Done some searchong through this thread from years ago. Looks like my bench and Press lifetime PBs aren't that far away.

OHP PB seems to be 50 5x5, 55 2x5

Bench PB seems to be 95 for 3x5.

Bring on the gains.
Poor session. Think the 3x a week heavy horizontal and vertical pressing is catching up to me. Not surprising given that I'm now at 85-90% of peak strength and my joints having been thrown in at the deep end, so to speak.

That said, it's brought me up to speed with big strength and size gains in 2 and a half months, so I'm glad I did a high volume intense period to get back into things. Just that it's probably time to tweak things a tad.

Trained this morning because am going away tonight, and to be honest I'm not sure I was fully recovered from Wednesday's 47.5 5x5 press and 82.5 5x5 bench, which was 36h ago. Also had about 5h sleep last night which was not ideal - went to bed normal time just kept waking up for some reason.

Given that I think 3x a week heavy bench and OHP is perhaps getting too much I wonder if it's probably time for a BBB style assistance, i.e. start doing 5x10 at maybe 65 to 70% of the 5x5 weight and adjust if that's too easy or hard. Should reduce stress on my elbows too and will add variety in weight/reps that I'm currently lacking.

So, today I did bench 87.5kg x 4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 (4, 7x3)

No way I was getting 5 first set. Was misgrooving all over the place and left elbow hurt. The bottom of the descent was losing control and ending up as almost a paused rep rather than controlled negative using stretch reflex. Given how easy 85 felt on Monday I think this was partly due to lack of rest.

Whether it's time to change what I'm doing for the main lift, I'll have a think. Will try 87.5 again in a few days when I'm properly rested, both gym and sleep wise. If there's no prospect of 5x5 I might try 7x4, then 5x5 - as I've been doing for OHP. If that doesn't get me to 5x5 in a few sessions I'll probably stop trying for LP on bench.

Rows 85kg 5x5
A bit cheaty at the end as is always the case progressing these. Will do again.

OHP 32.5kg 5x10
70% of last 5x5 weight. Was harder than anticipated - my work capacity for OHP isn't great, perhaps as I've never done high reps. This was absolutely fine on my elbows despite pain from bench, which was good. Pretty hard on triceps too.

Chins and dips, 4x10 each.

Facepulls

Then off to work.
(edited 4 years ago)
Having calmed down I'm a little less pissed off at having failed - lack of rest and sleep meant I knew going in I wasn't at peak fitness. I also knew the 5x5 LP train for bench was imminently approaching the end of the track.

Will program bench as I've been doing OHP for a few weeks and see how it goes. Will also reduce intensity and increase volume of whichever I do second. This will probably mean I can reduce volume of tricep accessory work too.

Shall try that for a bit and see. I really want to stick to training full body 3x a week. If I have to move to a more periodised program I will look at options which don't focus on a single movement each day.
Do a deload couple of sessions. You'll come back fine
Much better today after a heavy weekend of rest and alcohol in Cambodia. Saw Angkor Wat temple and drank a lot of negronis.

OHP 50 kg x 3 4 5 5 5 5 6
This was going to be a 10x3 day but felt easy so thought I'd try more. Got more than 5x5. Up to 52.5 next time.

Deadlift 172.5 x 5
Fine.

Barbell Rows 85 kg x 5 5 5 5 5
Fine, will increase weight on Weds when back not tired from deadlifts.

Bench 60 kg x 10 10 10 15 10
New plan for assistance - 60 to 70% of my more recent heavy day weight for 5x10.
Chatted to a friend for a few minutes before 4th set so had slightly longer rest. Did 15 to compensate.

Chin ups Deadhangs 4x5
Dips +10 kg x 7 10 8 8
Deadhangs
Curls
Facepulls
(edited 4 years ago)
You are literally a South east Asian tourist by weekend. Cray cray
How long do your sessions take on average? Judging by your last session, would've taken me >2hrs.
You are my life goals mate. Taking a casual weekend trip to Cambodia. I can only dream.
Probably about that. Training full body usually results in longer sessions.

If I'm in a rush I'll cut down on the isolation work at the end. I also superset everything after the main compounds (OHP, bench, deadlift, rows, squat) which speeds stuff up a bit.
Original post by Enginerd.
How long do your sessions take on average? Judging by your last session, would've taken me >2hrs.
This was half the reason we moved to Singapore, the travel opportunities are amazing - can do weekend trips to all the places you'd only want a couple of days at but have to build into a big trip from the UK.

In other news some shirts I bought when I first moved out here are getting a little tight on the arms. #gymgoals
Original post by Sae.HH
You are my life goals mate. Taking a casual weekend trip to Cambodia. I can only dream.

You are literally a South east Asian tourist by weekend. Cray cray
Pleased with today. After last Friday mornings bench failure today was fine. Also I had two glasses of wine over lunch so pleased that didn't impact me negatively!

Bench 87.5 kg x 5 5 5 5 5
Think I just wasn't rested on Friday. Bring on 90kg next week.

Squats 122.5 kg x 5 5 5 5 5
Been lazy with these last few weeks. Decent.

Barbell Rows 60 kg x 5 5, 80 kg x 5 5 5 5 5, 87.5 kg x 4 4 4
Lower back pretty knackered at the start of these, felt better at the end of 80kg so tried a few heavier ones.

OHP 35 kg x 10 10 10 10 10
These killed my biceps for some reason. Last time they killed my tris. Bizarre. Guess it was because biceps were tired from the rows, since biceps were less sore for final two sets. Last rep was RPE 10 so I won't be increasing the weight here for a while, might even be better to drop to 32.5.

Chins -6kg x 10 10 10 PB

Dips BW x 12 12 9+3

Rear delt work and curls
(edited 4 years ago)
OHP kills his biceps proceeds to get PB on Chin Ups anyway #illusionz:cool:
Ha when you put it like that it's a bit odd. Riding the noob gain train to swoletown.

I've actually been really pleased with how everything has progressed in the past 3 months. Upper body strength almost at peak and physique wise I think I'm in as good shape as I've ever been.

Also 1000 posts. Boom.
Original post by SuperHuman98
OHP kills his biceps proceeds to get PB on Chin Ups anyway #illusionz:cool:

Quick Reply

Latest