Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good Evening TSR, I hope you're having a good day.

I've got 2 optical isomers questions that I need help with please.
    Question 1. Can a carbon be chiral if it contain a double bond? i.e. would HC=OOH be an optical isomer, as it does not contain 4 different groups, but all group around the carbon are different?

Question 2. In a racemic mixture, the + optical isomer rotates the plane of polarization of plane polarized light in the right direction and the - isomer in the left direction. Since they are in equal molar quantities, the effect of rotation to the left is countered against by the rotation to the right.
    But my text book says that a racemic mixture has no affect on plane polarized light. So which description is correct?

Thanks you guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta, Δ)
    Good Evening TSR, I hope you're having a good day.

I've got 2 optical isomers questions that I need help with please.
    Question 1. Can a carbon be chiral if it contain a double bond? i.e. would HC=OOH be an optical isomer, as it does not contain 4 different groups, but all group around the carbon are different?

Question 2. In a racemic mixture, the + optical isomer rotates the plane of polarization of plane polarized light in the right direction and the - isomer in the left direction. Since they are in equal molar quantities, the effect of rotation to the left is countered against by the rotation to the right.
    But my text book says that a racemic mixture has no affect on plane polarized light. So which description is correct?

Thanks you guys!
    1) For a carbon to be chiral, it must be tetrahedral. That carbon is planar so isn't an optical isomer.

2) A racemic mixture has no effect on light because the two effects cancel out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisIsOurDecision)
    1) For a carbon to be chiral, it must be tetrahedral. That carbon is planar so isn't an optical isomer.

2) A racemic mixture has no effect on light because the two effects cancel out.
    Thanks!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Actually the thing about double bonds and chirality is a little bit more complicated. There are chiral allenes where chirality center lies on the carbon with two double bonds. Think (R1)(R2)C=C*=C(R3)(R4) and remember double bonds are perpendicular to each other.

So your typical sp2 carbon won't be chiral, but carbon with double bonds can be.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.