Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

So about 6 months after the fall, finally have a (sort of answer) that I have an ACL injury (the physio couldn't tell if it was torn, or rupture but she said she'd do more tests next time but she's confident it's more likely it's torn).

She didn't really give me an estimate of recovery time (I'm a bit sick of not being able to walk here! I couldn't walk properly due to muscle weakness from a chronic condition before, had just built my muscles up and had been enjoying my new strength for a couple of months before the accident)

Also, I'm a bit confused after reading about it. She said scans weren't necessary, and also we'd try conservative treatment before considering referring me on for surgery... from what I've read since I'm young, and there's knee instability I'm a good candidate for surgery and also cartilage can get damaged from being left (it's already been six months!)

Has anyone else damaged their ACL and would be willing to share their experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So about 6 months after the fall, finally have a (sort of answer) that I have an ACL injury (the physio couldn't tell if it was torn, or rupture but she said she'd do more tests next time but she's confident it's more likely it's torn).

She didn't really give me an estimate of recovery time (I'm a bit sick of not being able to walk here! I couldn't walk properly due to muscle weakness from a chronic condition before, had just built my muscles up and had been enjoying my new strength for a couple of months before the accident)

Also, I'm a bit confused after reading about it. She said scans weren't necessary, and also we'd try conservative treatment before considering referring me on for surgery... from what I've read since I'm young, and there's knee instability I'm a good candidate for surgery and also cartilage can get damaged from being left (it's already been six months!)

Has anyone else damaged their ACL and would be willing to share their experience?
    Would you mind me asking what your "chronic condition" is? I have a joint condition and tore my ACL (it wasn't ruptured, thankfully!) however if I had ruptured it, I was told that a reconstruction probably wouldn't work due to the instability in my joints.

If it's not ruptured and you can avoid surgery, then definitely try to avoid it! My friend had an ACL reconstruction, and he couldn't walk AT ALL for two months afterwards. He also had to take a year out of doing any sports because you have to have loads of physio and your leg won't be strong enough for ages.

I also managed to badly tear some of the cartilage in my knee and had surgery on that two months ago, but originally injured my knee eleven months ago. It's basically taken almost a year to get to the point where I still have problems with it daily, so be prepared for it to take a long time to get better. Physio will definitely help though, and try to do some low impact exercise (such as cycling and swimming) which are very good for strengthening the muscles around your knee, which will help your symptoms.

Hope it gets better soon, good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2014
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.