Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Manchester United v Sunderland, Captial One Cup Semi-Final Second Leg (1-2) watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Second leg of the Capital One Cup Semi Final at Old Trafford. Hasn't been a happy place lately for Man United while Sunderland have been very good in this cup competition. Not one I would like to predict.

ReputationRep:
    We're checking into the final United fans. Enjoy Bardsley coming back to haunt ya.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Johnstone, Love, Thorpe, Ekangamene, Blackett, Cole, Petrucci, James, Lingard, Wilson, W.Keane.

Our first team for tomorrow looks so depressing, why not play the reserves? Can't be any worse than seeing DM start the likes of Buttner, Valencia, Young, Cleverley and wondering where it went wrong.

ReputationRep:
    We'll win 2-0.

ReputationRep:
    Hard to predict indeed. I'm so nervous, I can't wait to have a drink and get to Manchester. 9,000 of us coming down from Sunderland should see us get behind the team and progress to the final. I think we'll get to the final but no idea how, normal time draw, extra time, penalties :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Johnstone, Love, Thorpe, Ekangamene, Blackett, Cole, Petrucci, James, Lingard, Wilson, W.Keane.

Our first team for tomorrow looks so depressing, why not play the reserves? Can't be any worse than seeing DM start the likes of Buttner, Valencia, Young, Cleverley and wondering where it went wrong.
    I'm mainly a Sunderland fan (due to family in the area and growing up there) but also a Man Utd fan (due to the other half of my family and due to my dads job getting to meet the whole squad multiple times as a kid), so I'm a bit divided really.

I'd love to see Sunderland get through, because I'm not hopeful that we'll stay up this season and I'd really like to see us get a shot at a trophy.

However, as a United fan I really don't want to see them humiliated again.

Personally what I hope happens is that Moyes puts faith in a young team like the one you've listed, gives them a chance to really put their necks on the line and work their socks off to impress, for them to play really well, but for Sunderland to keep it at 1-0 until late on, when we snatch a late equaliser to clearly go through to the final.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bilkos_Ices)
    Hard to predict indeed. I'm so nervous, I can't wait to have a drink and get to Manchester. 9,000 of us coming down from Sunderland should see us get behind the team and progress to the final. I think we'll get to the final but no idea how, normal time draw, extra time, penalties :iiam:
    I can see two possible outcomes.

1) Sunderland play really well, restrict Man Utd to dodgy chances and either take a draw or snatch a win.
    2) Man Utd start strongly, bag a goal in the first 15 minutes and Sunderland collapse.

ReputationRep:
    Surely Man Utd should be going all out for this now that they are out of the relegation battle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by officelinebacker)
    I can see two possible outcomes.

1) Sunderland play really well, restrict Man Utd to dodgy chances and either take a draw or snatch a win.
    2) Man Utd start strongly, bag a goal in the first 15 minutes and Sunderland collapse.
    Poyet has said we're going to play to win it though. If we can restrict Januzaj I really don't see much threat with RVP, Rooney and Vidic (set pieces) out. That said, if we start like we did against Southampton at the weekend United could be out of sight by half time and we don't have the strength to change it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Match underway

ReputationRep:
    Kagawa giving numerous reasons why Moyes didn't pick him against Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    We're just unable to break them down.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Couple of wasted moves from United, Borini went really close for Sunderland as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StretfordEnd)
    Kagawa giving numerous reasons why Moyes didn't pick him against Chelsea.
    It actually surprises me how much the fans ignore his poor play. I can easily see why he doesn't get picked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    It actually surprises me how much the fans ignore his poor play. I can easily see why he doesn't get picked.
    I try to fight his corner, I really do. He's immensely talented but, if anything, that surely makes it even more unacceptable that he's totally unable to play from the left?

Welbeck's position is a striker, when he was played on the left people ripped the **** out of him despite the fact his workrate and tracking back actually meant he was doing something positive; and forgive me for thinking a £17mn 2 time POTY attacking midfielder should be able to adapt to a wider position.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Off the post there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StretfordEnd)
    I try to fight his corner, I really do. He's immensely talented but, if anything, that surely makes it even more unacceptable that he's totally unable to play from the left?

Welbeck's position is a striker, when he was played on the left people ripped the sh*t out of him despite the fact his workrate and tracking back actually meant he was doing something positive; and forgive me for thinking a £17mn 2 time POTY attacking midfielder should be able to adapt to a wider position.
    I completely agree with you. I'm struggling to understand why people constantly ignore his poor performances and blame it on the system. His performances are unacceptable and it's quite clear why Moyes doesn't start him in more matches.The guy constantly fails simple passes and takes too long to do anything.

Welbeck did a better job than him playing the position last season.

Evans!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    1-0 United

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think Kagawa needs a run in the side, he needs 5-6 games on the trot to find some form, he is clearly an immensely talented player and I'd hate us to get rid because I am pretty sure he would go and do wonders where ever he went.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Half time, United will go through on away goals if this stays the same after extra time, as away goals come into play if it goes to extra time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.