Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I've applied for Biology, and deciding where I'd like to go (although I only have one offer at the moment) and I panicked a lot when I saw on one of the UG's profiles on the Bristol website she talked about how she got to develop her presentation skills. I am absolutely terrified at the thought of giving a presentation. I can't do it. Maybe in a group but definitely not on my own. I get anxiety attacks in other situations as it is. But I don't want to let it stop me from picking somewhere I'd like to go to, or going to uni at all. Is it common to have to give presentations? Are they usually assessed? Would I be able to get away with not doing it considering my anxiety attacks? :confused:

Edit: I've applied to Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Newcastle and Sheffield.
    Also, I'm fine in interviews, it's just standing in front of a group of people or even one person and having to memorise and recite something. I would even be fine standing up in front of a group of people answering questions. It's just having to talk when it's only me talking and there's nothing elsle but silence and the memorising and reciting thing.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find all Biology courses (and most other uni courses) will have assessed presentations. You won't be able to get out of doing them otherwise a huge amount of people would use anxiety to not do them - lots of people hate presentations! I wouldn't pick a uni based on whether or not presentations are mentioned, because they'll be part of all the courses and quite regularly I would expect. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but maybe having to do the presentations and getting some practice doing them will be good for you? Presenting work is a very common thing to do in the science industry when you graduate and get a job as well. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella0149)
    I'm thinking of going to bristol to do biology too and I am exactly the same!!
    Do you reckon we could get some sort of doctors note, do you have proper anxiety too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkwater)
    I think you'll find all Biology courses (and most other uni courses) will have assessed presentations. You won't be able to get out of doing them otherwise a huge amount of people would use anxiety to not do them - lots of people hate presentations! I wouldn't pick a uni based on whether or not presentations are mentioned, because they'll be part of all the courses and quite regularly I would expect. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, but maybe having to do the presentations and getting some practice doing them will be good for you? Presenting work is a very common thing to do in the science industry when you graduate and get a job as well. Good luck.
    I don't think your reply was very fair as I was talking about anxiety as a disorder so I'm a bit offended by your comment that you think it is a small issue.. I'm not using 'nerves' as an excuse, of course most people get this as you said. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It is unlikely that you would have to do many presentations tbh, I've not heard of anyone at my uni doing them for Life Sciences (or any other course for that matter), and perhaps you will have one or two assessed presentations but don't stress too much about them - they will give you advice on how to structure and present them and you will probably be only presenting to a small group of people - either your tutors/ supervisors/ lecturers (who will just be assessing you and perhaps asking a few questions, but they will want you to do your best rather than trying to catch you out!) or perhaps to a small group of other students (who will be in the same boat as you - just as nervous about presenting and therefore aren't going to 'judge' you for your presentation).
    Not all universities will have presentations, but also bear in mind that not all universities will promote the opportunity to improve presentation skills (which will be useful to you in later life) and so picking a university just because they don't mention presentations is no way to guarantee avoiding them.
    I would say, pick the university you like, regardless of whether presentations are a key part of the course, and take the opportunity to improve your confidence with public speaking and presentations.

ReputationRep:
    Join debating as soon as you get to uni. By halfway through the first term you'll be way more comfortable with the idea of speaking to a room of people.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.