Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Most of the guides on last minute essay writing seem to quietly assume a lot of prior reading has been completed and that it's only a case of refreshing the mind and starting to write.

I however could only verbally waffle unconvincingly on my subject for 2 minutes if forced to. So I'm looking for some help, encouragement, tips, whatever you want to call it as to how to structure my last minute reading into note taking into citations/quotes/paraphrases etc into completed essay.

I'm usually a perfectionist so I just feel like I can't get started. At this moment in time all that matters is handing something in. It could be so bad that it gets 50%, but that's better than having the extra 10 days for late submission but having it capped at 40%. How do I approach throwing references in for marks when I haven't done the reading?

It's actually my first essay in university and it's 2500 words. I'm aware to many this is indeed 'nothing', but to me at this point, with say 16 'useful' brain hours left to deadline, it is quite some task. I'm a 'mature' student (late 20's) and haven't for a long time done anything of this nature and certainly am not au fait with the methodology or best practice of grinding out a piece of work from reading.

(Never have the quietly questioning quote marks around the word mature been more applicable than this moment I choose to prove as a supposedly more experienced individual that procrastination is not the road to success)

Thanks for any good help as really, really, it may be the difference.

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

Establish your essay around 2-3 points, that you go into in a lot of detail and get a few quotes/evidence for. You only really need 2 opposite points to form a debate.

Well, I hope you have completed the essay at this point :lol:

I always leave my essays till deadline night, I perform better under pressure. Look at your lecture notes, as well as lecture sides if your lecturer actually bothers to upload them somewhere. Get a few books from the core reading, and read the introduction and conclusion, this gives you a good overview of the topic. Dive into the book for details and just put ink to paper and you'll eventually get it done. Always better to research prior and have a plan in place, remember this in future. But yeah, you can get away with it in first year but don't let bad habits die hard.
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.