Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Okay so Math's is my very weak point in school, but if I'm gonna be able to do Science courses in college, I'm gonna need atleast a B in Math's.

Anyways the problem is I have no interest in Math's, maybe a little but I find it very hard and frustrating to study for because when I study for it I have a lack of motivation, because I lose interest and find it really boring.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me, or give me some tips and advice on what to do. And also how I can become better at Maths.

ReputationRep:
    better = lots of questions = boring

sorry no magic wand in maths its hard and boring but gets easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamiHussain)
    Okay so Math's is my very weak point in school, but if I'm gonna be able to do Science courses in college, I'm gonna need atleast a B in Math's.

Anyways the problem is I have no interest in Math's, maybe a little but I find it very hard and frustrating to study for because when I study for it I have a lack of motivation, because I lose interest and find it really boring.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me, or give me some tips and advice on what to do. And also how I can become better at Maths.
    TBH, if you need the maths then that should be the motivation that you need - there are no gimmicks in maths you need to work hard and practice - if you cannot motivate yourself then you will fail

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

The only way to become good is to apply your skills! I would start with a practice paper you have access to the mark scheme for - be honest, stick to the time and see what areas you seem to struggle with based on the points you get for each question.

For those, I'm afraid it is just a matter of trying the questions, over, and over, and over again! You will eventually know the methods and be able to apply them to whatever question (which is obviously helpful when you don't know what's going to come up in the exam )

When it comes to the exam, make sure you know how to apply every formula (for example, how to rearrange them). Oh, and SHOW YOUR WORKINGS! I recently did a mock test, and the extra marks I got from workings on questions I answered wrong, that I wouldn't have got if I hadn't shown methods, were enough to send me from an 'A' to well into an 'A*'! (gcse).

Hope I helped

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would add that you shouldn't assume that you can just do well in maths in order to pursue science later and forget about maths then. If you wish to pursue a rigorous natural science, you're going to need to become extremely familiar with maths and will always be learning more and more maths. There will come no time when you can see "ah, i've finished learning maths now and I can focus on science!" Maths is the language of real science and you can't have the latter without the former.

ReputationRep:
    Thank's Implication I understand what you are trying, to get at Maths is the language of Science. Einstein mastered it easily, and he struggled with it and their were many better mathematicians then him. But still he was still a hell of a Mathematician, and Lauren1998 I will try my best.
    I see that now Math's isn't a joke and fun game, I'm gonna need to be hardworking and dedicated to achieve because their are no shortcuts in Maths.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Math's

Math's
    :mad:

Math's

Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)

:mad:

At least he (or she) didn't type 'math'

ReputationRep:
    Go through past papers with friends

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'm sorry I'm so used to putting the apostrophe on the end of words now, damn I gotta stop that. Okay aha I'm sorry 'Maths'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.