Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've decided that I am going to go for a History PGCE. However, it seems so late to apply now - I know a lot of people are attending interviews and receiving offers and so on.

I've registered with UCAS and am currently looking at Schools Direct as a route too.

I have a long CV and my academic side is strong and will be calling school's to ask about experience this week too.

But, do you think it's now too late to apply? I believe applications opened on the 21st of November, eek!

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Never too late. I applied this time last year and am now almost half way through my training!

You do need classroom experience to reflect on in your application though, so you may have to wait until you've had at least a few days to comment on what you've seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    Never too late. I applied this time last year and am now almost half way through my training!

You do need classroom experience to reflect on in your application though, so you may have to wait until you've had at least a few days to comment on what you've seen.
    For sure!

A large part of the job I had for three years was supporting the learning and development of young girls who had just left school and were entering the hair and beauty industry. I was thinking this experience would also be useful, as it wasn't primarily my role (in fact, we threw them into employment), but I incorporated it into my job description. It, rather frustratingly, was predominately to do with issues at home, or issues with discipline at work. It was also working within that industry that I found many young people lacking the skills to enter a work place and more related to history, lacking the skills to approach issues or even understand politics, society and who we are.

Do you think that would be a useful component of my application?

Also,thank you very much for your advise! I'm a bit panicky over this right now!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely good experience to reflect on - I'm primary but I'm sure across the board the experiences students are having outside of school have a massive impact on their performance. If you've already got experience dealing with those sorts of issues and guiding people to overcome them then that's absolutely relevant.

Anything else where you've worked or volunteered with children/young people is also good. I reflected on some volunteering I'd done at a playgroup for disabled children years ago, a job in the US at a theme park, my experiences managing/ training people in previous career and my current experiences observing/helping out at a local school.

Think outside the box for anything at all linked to young people or teaching/training. It's all relevant, especially if you're applying for School Direct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    Definitely good experience to reflect on - I'm primary but I'm sure across the board the experiences students are having outside of school have a massive impact on their performance. If you've already got experience dealing with those sorts of issues and guiding people to overcome them then that's absolutely relevant.

Anything else where you've worked or volunteered with children/young people is also good. I reflected on some volunteering I'd done at a playgroup for disabled children years ago, a job in the US at a theme park, my experiences managing/ training people in previous career and my current experiences observing/helping out at a local school.

Think outside the box for anything at all linked to young people or teaching/training. It's all relevant, especially if you're applying for School Direct.
    That's great! Thank you.

I think I will give School Direct a shot, but I' just worried about how scarce the places are

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.