Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can 7 students live in a 6 bed house watch

... With the landlords permission?
    Basically 6 of us are looking for a house for next year, however we have another close friend who is applying to do a masters and would like to live with us. He won't know whether he's been accepted for his masters degree until the summer, though, which doesn't leave us enough time to find a 7 bed house. It just so happens that me and this guy are extremely close and would both be happy to share a bedroom/ bed as it's something we've been doing anyway for the past 2 years ish.

So, is it legal to ask a landlord whether they would be happy to have 7 students living in the house, dividing the rent equally between them? As long as there are enough bathrooms etc? Anyone been in this situation before?

If you are not a couple then you'd legally be overcrowded if you're 21 or over, but if you're 20 or under you would be legally allowed to share if you are of the same sex.

The landlord would also have a legal responsibility to provide adequate shared facilities which might mean more than there currently are.

If you ARE legally allowed, I don't imagine that the landlord would say yes anyway, but I can't see any real reason not to ask (certainly it's not illegal to ASK).

Thanks for your reply im 20, he's 24.. Also we aren't technically a couple but could potentially just say that we are?

Also so I think that the required facilities for 7 people are the same as they are for 6 though I'd have to check this..

alright, I reckon it's worth asking then?

any more replies would be great!xx
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2014
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.