Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I was just wondering if there is anyone going to uni or anyone who went to uni at aged 21 as I will be. How did you find making friends with people your own age? Also, will you be with a bunch of 18 year olds when living in halls or do they tend to mix it up? I don't really mind living with 18 year olds but I just don't want to feel like the granny of the group:/. I'm applying to Nottingham Trent as my first choice. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 23 in September, they do have accomodation for mature students and it says to ring them before you book so they can give you advise. I'm going to ring them but I don't want to be in a flat full of post grads so going to see what they say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay, thanks a lot. Yeah exactly, I don't want to be with a bunch of postgrads either. Thanks so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow I'm in the exact same predicament lol. Il be starting at NTU at the age of 21 and I'm really nervous about feeling like the granny. I've been to Uni before so I've done the whole partying Freshers thing so I don't know if il be able to share everyone's excitement or how much il connect with all the kiddies haha.
    I'm also not too sure what accommodation I should go for. I'm scared if I choose the mature accommodation il be placed with people in their 30s who will end up moaning about me playing loud music or something haha.

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Exactly.
    To be honest, I think you should go for the one you like look of and will be most comfortable. I'm looking at Gill Street South and I guess I just gotta hope there will be mixed ages. Maybe email the accommodation department and tell them your worries. Hopefully they'll be able to help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    21 is not old...they will barely tell the difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel375)
    Hi guys, I was just wondering if there is anyone going to uni or anyone who went to uni at aged 21 as I will be. How did you find making friends with people your own age? Also, will you be with a bunch of 18 year olds when living in halls or do they tend to mix it up? I don't really mind living with 18 year olds but I just don't want to feel like the granny of the group:/. I'm applying to Nottingham Trent as my first choice. Thanks in advance
    Hey! I am applying for Nottingham Trent and I will have just have turned 20 by the time I start. I think there will be quite a few people who will be slightly older anyhoo - mainly due to gap years and what not! I did a foundation course at Loughborough and I was friends with people who ranged from 18 to 24 so honestly it won't be a problem at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel375)
    hey, i started uni this year and quite a few people here are your age when they started. In my flat only 2 of us were 18 the rest were 20 and 21 so dont worry

ReputationRep:
    You guys are great! Thank you so much, it's honestly made me feel so much better. Thanks Good luck to you all xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who is 21 and in his first year. He seems to have made friends just fine. Mainly from his halls I think, but maybe that's because the ages in his flat seem to be quite mixed from 18 to 21.

But my advise to anyone really, regardless of age, is to go to as many introductory events and trips as you can, 'cause that's how you'll meet most of the people in your first few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I appreciate that. Definitely taking that advice Thank youuu x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've just firmed NTU and ill be turning 23 when. I arrive, there's no. Need to apply for postgrad / mature accomodation even through your older as long as you welcoming and friendly you should have no problem making friends or fitting in, being older has its advantages your not the granny of the group you just have more life experience plus us older ones can show the youngens how to party XD !!

ReputationRep:
    I've been told by accomodation that when you go on the booking system if your 21 or older that it 'll only bring up rooms for mature students but that you can ring and find out whether it's freshers or postgrads if you want. So it looks as if you haven't got a choice about being with anyone younger than 21

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Spot on Tazilla👌

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am going to be 21 when I go to uni this year as well! I don't want to considered the granny of the group either. I am just hoping that I will be living with a mixture of ages Just about to make Nottingham Trent my first choice as well, excited now!

ReputationRep:
    23 when I started my first year, 25 now and in third year. Sometimes find some of the less mature a bit annoying and thoughtless but there are so many people at uni you'll find a group you like and fit right in. I know two guys who are 27 and 28, there doing fine. A lot of people are 20/21 when they start. It's not like 6th form at all where everyone is the same age and anyway, age is just a number as you'll find out.

ReputationRep:
    Which halls are people going to go for? I will be 21 but can't choose which accommodation I perfer? I think gill street and Simpson look good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jobie123)
    Hi,
    I am going to be 21 when I go to uni this year as well! I don't want to considered the granny of the group either. I am just hoping that I will be living with a mixture of ages Just about to make Nottingham Trent my first choice as well, excited now!
    I emailed NTU earlier this week and they said that you can use the online system to choose who you live with, both 21+ and under 21 rooms show up on the system and you can choose which you want

ReputationRep:
    Hey...can i just say I'm 25....so you like nothing to worry about! Frankly i'm terrified...and have been thinking the same thing almost daily. I think hopefully i'll be put in with other mature students...and even then like anyone who's 22 classes as a 'mature student'....so yeh...you'll be fine i'm way more grannyish than you x

ReputationRep:
    Any 21 year olds staying at gill street? I am going to try to book tomorrow! Ahh

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.