x Turn on thread page Beta

[SUGGESTION] Cosmology & Astronomy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Greetings supreme leaders of TSR :eek: As a passionate member of TSR I would really like to see a Cosmology and Astronomy sub section added under the Hobbies and Interests section. I think Cosmology and Astronomy are interests which many people here on TSR would enjoy speaking about. I often have to result to posting in the philosophical section when I want to discuss the latest pictures of Hubble, the expansion of the universe or just to chat about how awesome our universe is.

I would happily take the role of a moderator if you need someone to moderate the section. I have years of experience in the fields of Cosmology and Astronomy and I'm very active here on the forums.

Can we please get this added to the hobbies and Interests section? It's very difficult having to post in the philosophical section which gives the illusion that the thread being posted is a philosophical one and it often causes the thread to go off topic.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I can't think for the life of my why TSR doesn't have a section for people with interests in cosmology

ReputationRep:
    If there is sufficient interest I am sure it is something that would be considered. Are there currently any active threads you could use to show that it would actually be used?

ReputationRep:
    These in my opinion are not philosophical questions. They belong in a Cosmology and Astronomy section but people are forced to post in the philosophy section.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2573262

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2569266

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2566269

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2540273

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2547655

and there are many more if I look past more than 3 pages in the philosophy section. A Cosmology and Astronomy section gives members the opportunity to discuss not only the size of the universe and the origin but galaxies, stars, planets ect without it having a philosophical overtone. I see in the academic help section there is Chemistry, Biology and Earth Sciences which is great but Astronomy and Cosmology are usually hobbies or interests for most people here on TSR so if you do create the section, please put it under hobbies and interests as apposed to academic help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeepYourChinUp)
    These in my opinion are not philosophical questions. They belong in a Cosmology and Astronomy section but people are forced to post in the philosophy section.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2573262

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2569266

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2566269

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2540273

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2547655

and there are many more if I look past more than 3 pages in the philosophy section. A Cosmology and Astronomy section gives members the opportunity to discuss not only the size of the universe and the origin but galaxies, stars, planets ect without it having a philosophical overtone. I see in the academic help section there is Chemistry, Biology and Earth Sciences which is great but Astronomy and Cosmology are usually hobbies or interests for most people here on TSR so if you do create the section, please put it under hobbies and interests as apposed to academic help.
    Certainly it's an idea that's at least worth considering :beard: As a start, perhaps make use of the Astronomy social group to find other interested members? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=1202

ReputationRep:
    Finally a section dedicated to space without having to invoke religion or philosophy!

+1 from me

ReputationRep:
    Greetings supreme leaders of TSR :eek: As a passionate member of TSR I would really like to see a Cosmology and an Astronomy sub section added under the Hobbies and Interests section. I think Cosmology and Astronomy and interests which many people here on TSR would enjoy speaking about. I often have to result to posting in the philosophical section when I want to discuss the latest pictures of Hubble, the expansion of the universe or just to chat about how awesome our universe is.

I would happily take the role of a moderator if you need someone to moderate the section. I have years of experience in the fields of Cosmology and Astronomy and I'm very active here on the forums.

Can we please get this added to the hobbies and Interests section? It's very difficult having to post in the philosophical section which gives the illusion that the thread being posted is a philosophical one and it often causes the thread to go off topic.

Thanks!
    KeepYourChinUp,

I'm the Hobbies and Interests Section Leader. It's great that you're coming up with proactive ideas for the forum group and I'd definitely encourage you to continue this! The only problem is that I really don't think there's enough demand for a forum.

The rule of thumb I use to figure out whether there's enough demand for it is - would average demand cause threads to roll off the first page in say 3-4 days? I think we're a bit of a way away currently by this metric.

I do think that it would be worth us seeing if there's a more suitable home for Cosmology/Astronomy discussion, though - D&CA > Philosophy is probably not a great place for it. :holmes:

Any ideas of existing forums that you think it might fit nicely into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    KeepYourChinUp,

I'm the Hobbies and Interests Section Leader. It's great that you're coming up with proactive ideas for the forum group and I'd definitely encourage you to continue this! The only problem is that I really don't think there's enough demand for a forum.

The rule of thumb I use to figure out whether there's enough demand for it is - would average demand cause threads to roll off the first page in say 3-4 days? I think we're a bit of a way away currently by this metric.

I do think that it would be worth us seeing if there's a more suitable home for Cosmology/Astronomy discussion, though - D&CA > Philosophy is probably not a great place for it. :holmes:

Any ideas of existing forums that you think it might fit nicely into?
    What is D&CA? I think the only way you'll know if there is really a demand for it is if you make a section dedicated to that interest. For example I recently found out that there is water on Ceres and how great this is for Astronomy. Another story I wanted to share was about the recent supernova that wiill be visible from Earth with just binoculars!

I appreciate you at least looking into the suggestion but these sorts of topics don't really belong anywhere else. I guess I could have posted in the news section but it's only considered news to those who enjoy the topic. I easily think the section would spawn at least 1 or 2 topics every day that would lead to multiple page discussions.

But if you won't add the section I appreciate your decision. Thanks for looking into it though
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What is D&CA? I think the only way you'll know if there is really a demand for it is if you make a section dedicated to that interest. For example I recently found out that there is water on Ceres and how great this is for Astronomy. Another story I wanted to share was about the recent supernova that wiill be visible from Earth with just binoculars!

I appreciate you at least looking into the suggestion but these sorts of topics don't really belong anywhere else. I guess I could have posted in the news section but it's only considered news to those who enjoy the topic. I easily think the section would spawn at least 1 or 2 topics every day that would lead to multiple page discussions.

But if you won't add the section I appreciate your decision. Thanks for looking into it though
    Hey! (Sorry for stepping in, but I've been working for the Community Team for a bit so may be able to give a bit on the numbers).

When we look into adding forums to the site, one main factor is how much traffic would go towards it and whether an established community would be able to forum in there. So the first thing that we'd do is search for posts within that common "interest" and see how many posts and threads are made and if it's a stable model. This would then go back to the relevant mods within that team (so in this case it would go with Vlad and his mods) and along with the CT there would be a trial forum and if it's successful then it would go out.

The point that I'm making is that although there may be an interest for a cosmology forum (and this would be cool as I am a space geek ) what you don't want to do is create a forum and literally it's like dead man land :erm:

What you could do is look at the previous suggestions and see if you could generate a lot of traffic within a cosmology society. Look at this over a long period of time (so between 3-6 months) and then you have more evidence for your forum creation :yep:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I always ordered for a long time is somewhere is needed for general science discussion, whether debating things, discussing relevant advances or personal interests/activities. I think astronomy and cosmology would fit under that broader section if it were to be created.

Currently, where would such threads go? I'm actually not that sure. Say, I wanted to talk about what constellations I could see one night, the latest events looking at the Higgs boson or the discovery of a new species of insect. Where would we talk about that?

Maybe the thing to do is identify that place now and start posing more astronomy, cosmology or general science threads there and if it takes off and generates the activity, we could consider if a new a section could be supported!

I'd be very much up for see more science discussion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    I always ordered for a long time is somewhere is needed for general science discussion, whether debating things, discussing relevant advances or personal interests/activities. I think astronomy and cosmology would fit under that broader section if it were to be created.

Currently, where would such threads go? I'm actually not that sure. Say, I wanted to talk about what constellations I could see one night, the latest events looking at the Higgs boson or the discovery of a new species of insect. Where would we talk about that?

Maybe the thing to do is identify that place now and start posing more astronomy, cosmology or general science threads there and if it takes off and generates the activity, we could consider if a new a section could be supported!

This is actually a really good idea. Instead of making a specific area for Cosmology, why not create a section for general science which would encompass Cosmology, biology, chemistry and earth sciences? There is a section for chemistry and biology but it's for homework and academic help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)

Absolutely this. There's no logical home for this sort of dicussion. There's maybe an opportunity for us to reposition an existing forum to incorporate such discussion, but I can't think of where, right now. Perhaps one of the D&CA forums?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Absolutely this. There's no logical home for this sort of dicussion. There's maybe an opportunity for us to reposition an existing forum to incorporate such discussion, but I can't think of where, right now. Perhaps one of the D&CA forums?
    Yeah, right above philosophy Do it do it do it
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by RK)

This- I for one would use it, and I'm sure many others would too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unless I've completely missed it, I don't think any progress regarding making a forum dedicated to talking about science has been made since this was posted last year.

Thought I'd give this a kick though because I think it would become quite an active hub of discussion. History has its own section which doesn't get used a huge amount, so maybe it's time science was given the go ahead too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry Spartan)
    Unless I've completely missed it, I don't think any progress regarding making a forum dedicated to talking about science has been made since this was posted last year.

Thought I'd give this a kick though because I think it would become quite an active hub of discussion. History has its own section which doesn't get used a huge amount, so maybe it's time science was given the go ahead too?
    It would seem that we're not going to get such a section

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.