Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am in Sixth Form, studying towards A levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing, with an EPQ in Quantum Physics.

I am very interested in investment banking, consultancy, or actuarial sciences as a profession.

So my question is whether there are any specific requirements that banks look for, when accepting people onto graduate schemes (I assume it is graduate schemes which lead to employment).

I was looking to study physics, at Imperial or Oxford. Would this be appropriate, and is there any work experience I could get (I'm in Year 12)?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FelixTheKat)
    Hello,

I am very interested in investment banking, consultancy, or actuarial sciences as a profession.

I was looking to study physics, at Imperial or Oxford. Would this be appropriate, and is there any work experience I could get (I'm in Year 12)?

Thanks
    Why are you "very interested in investment banking, consultancy, or actuarial sciences as a profession."? That's something you'll need to articulate well to yourself and employers.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am in Sixth Form, studying towards A levels in Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Computing, with an EPQ in Quantum Physics.

So my question is whether there are any specific requirements that banks look for, when accepting people onto graduate schemes (I assume it is graduate schemes which lead to employment).

Thanks
    Consultancy doesn't ask for any particular degree, though anything numerate is preferred. Having said that, you'll always find some with Classics, Music, etc.

Actuarial prefers Maths and Economics and obviously Actuarial Science. If you really want to qualify in record time, take the Actuarial degree, followed by the one year Masters. That could give you exemptions to all the exams, assuming you did well, though you'd still need a few years work experience before qualifying.

Some roles in banks require specific degrees, others don't.

Which area of banking are you most interested in?

ReputationRep:
    Work Experience:

A Level Insight Programmes > Spring Weeks (1st Year) > Summer Analyst (2nd Year) > Job Offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    Work Experience:

A Level Insight Programmes > Spring Weeks (1st Year) > Summer Analyst (2nd Year) > Job Offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This.

The earlier your exposure and network building starts, the better chance you have of getting to that last stage.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. So would Physics be considered a numerate degree?

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    To a layman, even a maths degree is considered numerate.

Physics at the degree level involves a lot more maths than A-Level. There was a time when in order to study Simple Harmonic Motion in A-Level Physics, you had to solve differential equations.

So those who want to do a Physics degree but not the maths had better think again.

A maths degree (at a good place anyway) is all algebra, ie no numbers because you cannot use numbers to prove anything.

That's why, in general, a calculator is useless for a maths degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dugdugdug)
    To a layman, even a maths degree is considered numerate.

Physics at the degree level involves a lot more maths than A-Level. There was a time when in order to study Simple Harmonic Motion in A-Level Physics, you had to solve differential equations.

So those who want to do a Physics degree but not the maths had better think again.

A maths degree (at a good place anyway) is all algebra, ie no numbers because you cannot use numbers to prove anything.

That's why, in general, a calculator is useless for a maths degree.
    I totally agree. I find behind all the analogies or over simplifications in the A-level course, there exists very fundamental mathematics

ReputationRep:
    Use your free time to get involved in a diverse range of activities. This will give you things to talk about at interviews and persuade potential employers that you are well rounded (whatever that means).

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.