Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for comprehensive information when it comes to a PC build centred around music production, using such DAW as FL Studios.

This will hopefully include component requirements and even links to the best ones, price to performance, that are currently on the market.

Bestow your knowledge upon me!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    I'm looking for comprehensive information when it comes to a PC build centred around music production, using such DAW as FL Studios.

This will hopefully include component requirements and even links to the best ones, price to performance, that are currently on the market.

Bestow your knowledge upon me!

Cheers
    You going to be recording audio with this station or just producing electronic music?

ReputationRep:
    From my understanding DAWs have a low floor when it comes to usable specs, but can scale up to make use of extremely powerful/expensive PCs depending on the workload. You'll also want to invest in high quality audio components, which can again vary in price- reference quality audio setups can span from a few hundred quid into the tens of thousands.

What sort of budget were you thinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    From my understanding DAWs have a low floor when it comes to usable specs, but can scale up to make use of extremely powerful/expensive PCs depending on the workload.
    Correct.

FL Studio (as in the OP) requires very little to actually run and process a few samples, but once you add in VSTs (instruments/effects for example), you can really start to need an awful lot of power.

As for audio kit, you don't need too much if it's just for producing electronic music. Most standard sound cards will run on the ASIO4ALL driver, which isn't too bad. A £50-£100 audio USB interface will do for most of us tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The build will be in the interest of producing electronic music, with the potential of recording audio in the future. It won't be solely used for this purpose as I'll be sliding a decent graphics card into it in the future as well so I'm looking at around £600-800 without the GPU.

I understand that DAW software doesn't require overpowered specs but as this is something that I will be new to I'm unaware of how intensive it could potentially become.

More information on the sound card would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    The build will be in the interest of producing electronic music, with the potential of recording audio in the future. It won't be solely used for this purpose as I'll be sliding a decent graphics card into it in the future as well so I'm looking at around £600-800 without the GPU.

I understand that DAW software doesn't require overpowered specs but as this is something that I will be new to I'm unaware of how intensive it could potentially become.

More information on the sound card would be helpful
    In that case, I'd go for an:

i5 4670K CPU - Fast as you like. i7 may be better in the long run, but price man!
    16GB DDR3 1600 - Never run out of memory - never have buffer underruns
    120GB SSD - optional for OS and DAW, maybe VSTs
    2TB HDD - Samples, VSTs, project files
    This motherboard or similar
    And a quiet case and PSU.

Sound cards is a whole other board game really, and it depends on how many instruments you think you may want to record simultaneously. Look at things like these. Do your research and find something that will meet your needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    In that case, I'd go for an:

i5 4670K CPU - Fast as you like. i7 may be better in the long run, but price man!
    16GB DDR3 1600 - Never run out of memory - never have buffer underruns
    120GB SSD - optional for OS and DAW, maybe VSTs
    2TB HDD - Samples, VSTs, project files
    This motherboard or similar
    And a quiet case and PSU.

Sound cards is a whole other board game really, and it depends on how many instruments you think you may want to record simultaneously. Look at things like these. Do your research and find something that will meet your needs.
    Defínítely a ssd for the best performance, put the OS and all major programs on.

For case wíse, hmm Corsaír 550D...........and maybe get a aftermarket cooler as well.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.