Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a 3rd year student currently studying physics at imperial college and have obtained a summer 2014 internship for a MO/FO role at a BB bank on the basis that I am doing a fourth year masters. So now I have the choice to either do an intercalated masters in physics (Msci = one overall degree) or do a masters in management (Bsc physics + Msc management) at imperial. I am aiming to apply to an IBD graduate role or explore management consulting in the future.

So with the background out the way my questions are:
    1) Will the management masters put me at any advantage in terms of grad roles? 2) Does only getting one degree overall (Msci) with the physics intercalated masters put me at a disadvantage (by not getting Bsc aswell). 3) Now, considering the management masters will cost me £10k more, does this change any opinions or is it a 'if you can afford it go for it' type thing?
    Any other useful insights would be much appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It literally makes no difference whatsoever. I'm currently in my fourth year (MMath degree), Maths equivalent basically, and I've landed a job in a big 4 consultancy. That said, I didn't need a Masters whatsoever and that has made me feel like what I am doing is "pointless" (although, that said, I enjoy the challenge). The benchmark for any application is a 2:1 degree, after that it is solely down to how you perform in the online tests, interviews, assessment centres etc - your degree will have no bearing whatsoever past the initial application stage.

In layman's terms: you'd be fine with a BSc, so if you want to do a Masters do the intercalated as it'll be initially paid for by student finance at the 3k/year rate. Well done on the internship, it is vital if you want to get into an IBD graduate role and it'll also help with consultancy applications as you have work experience.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    There's an article on TARGETjobs (http://bit.ly/19PGtu4) that has some stuff in there you should take into account.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.