Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Offer not obtainable watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To cut a long story short, I'm taking three a levels and a BTEC subsidiary, I have conditional offers asking for 300 points from 3 subjects, but I have recently found out I can only achieve a merit, c equiv in my BTEC and I already have a c in my A level psychology, so I would need an a* in my media but I can't physically achieve that only having a high B at a/s. my other a level is law which I can only get as high as a C. Even if I got 100% in all my exams and work this year my results would end up A C C. What should I do ?

Added: I also do not want to defer, i have an insurance as the offer is based on ucas points but i would prefer the BBB offer with the two unis Bournemouth and Greenwich

ReputationRep:
    You could always defer a year and retake some exams?

ReputationRep:
    Can you not resubmit assignments on the Btec to get it up to distinction?

If not then it might be worth declining your offers and going into extra, applying for courses that are within your expected range of grades.

ReputationRep:
    So you applied only to Unis with the same high requirements - or have you only got offers from these?

And what were your predicted grades?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jamchelsea)
    What should I do ?
    In addition to the advice above it would be worth contacting the universities you've had offers from and explaining your situation.

Offer making is a dark art and sometimes offers are made high in order to encourage applicants to pick a university as firm or to encourage an applicant to work hard/stretch themselves. If this is the case for any of your offers you *may* find that your universities might be willing to reconsider your offer conditions if you explain that the best you can hope for is ACC plus a merit at BTEC.

The worst any university will say to you is "no sorry we need you to get 300 points from 3 subjects to get a place" (which is the situation you're in at the moment).

Do you know what predicted grades your referee put in your application?

ReputationRep:
    To cut a long story short, I'm taking three a levels and a BTEC subsidiary, I have conditional offers asking for 300 points from 3 subjects, but I have recently found out I can only achieve a merit, c equiv in my BTEC and I already have a c in my A level psychology, so I would need an a* in my media but I can't physically achieve that only having a high B at a/s. my other a level is law which I can only get as high as a C. Even if I got 100% in all my exams and work this year my results would end up A C C. What should I do ?
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can get an A* in media. If your high B at AS is something like 78 and you get 90 at A2 that gives you an average of 84 which is enough for an A* - which requires at least 80 overall and 90+ at A2.

ReputationRep:
    No these are my top two choices, Bournemouth and Greenwich.
    I have others which are 280 ucas points total with 160 from 2 a levels or equiv, which is fine, i was just curious about my two top choices. Im considering explaining the situations but i don't want them to think im being... Whiny?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can get an A* in media. If your high B at AS is something like 78 and you get 92 at A2 that gives you an average of 80 which is enough for an A* - which requires at least 80 overall and 90+ at A2.
    I thought it was just 90% overall which isnt attainable? if not and you're correct this may be a moot point but my confidence in getting a 90% and higher is shakey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    In addition to the advice above it would be worth contacting the universities you've had offers from and explaining your situation.

Offer making is a dark art and sometimes offers are made high in order to encourage applicants to pick a university as firm or to encourage an applicant to work hard/stretch themselves. If this is the case for any of your offers you *may* find that your universities might be willing to reconsider your offer conditions if you explain that the best you can hope for is ACC plus a merit at BTEC.

The worst any university will say to you is "no sorry we need you to get 300 points from 3 subjects to get a place" (which is the situation you're in at the moment).

Do you know what predicted grades your referee put in your application?
    Thank you, as i said i wasn't sure if this would be a bad thing to do, but i will contact them and make it clear and see what will happen i guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Duck)
    Can you not resubmit assignments on the Btec to get it up to distinction?

If not then it might be worth declining your offers and going into extra, applying for courses that are within your expected range of grades.
    I cannot resubmit apparently, already tried my hardest but it's already be certified

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can get an A* in media. If your high B at AS is something like 78 and you get 92 at A2 that gives you an average of 80 which is enough for an A* - which requires at least 80 overall and 90+ at A2.
    I thought it was just 90% overall which isnt attainable? if not and you're correct this may be a moot point but my confidence in getting a 90% and higher is shakey.
    ageshallnot is right, you need 80% across both years and 90% in the A2. So 70% in AS and 90% in A2 is a borderline A*.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I got a B in one of my AS levels, but still got an A* at A level without retakes. It just needs to be 80% overall, and 90% in the A2 modules.

ReputationRep:
    Is it too late to arrange to resit an AS exam in Law or Psychology to try and bring your C grade up to a B?

As has been said, you've got nothing to lose by contacting the university and explaining your situation. They may lower the conditions of the offer for you in this case. Definately contact the universities before making a final decision. It's very likely that they know on results day they would probably accept someone who missed their offer by 20 points, so they may be willing to make a lower offer.

However, if they don't do this, it wouldn't be a good idea to accept an offer as a firm you know you can't meet the conditions of. Luckily, you do have some other suitable options if this is the case.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's too late to resit any previous exams and my law isn't a C, it just would be even if I got 100%.

Thank you all for the advice I will ring up universities and hopefully post a motiveless story of a university lowering their conditional offer ha.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.