Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi there. I am posting on behalf of my boyfriend who had issues with Student Finance two years running, which has prevented him from going to university.

    Estranged from parents - evidence issue
    Firstly; he is estranged from both of his parents for reasons out of his control. He lives with his grandma who is retired and receives no financial aid from either of his parents. How would he go about the whole getting parental income? Obviously this is not an option as he has no contact with his father at all and him and his mother have also been out of contact for several years now.

    Account is still applying for 2012 finance?
    Secondly; He applied to begin a course in 2012. After struggling with a few personal issues he did not make it to university and instead decided to reapply for 2013 start. All was good once more; got in to a different university closer to home. However, his SFE account still believed he was enrolled for 2012, and still does now. We have made several phonecalls explaining to the people and they have given us numerous dates about 'resetting' the account so he could apply for student finance for 2013.

    We raised this issue in July last year and the account is STILL locked for 2012. They told him he could apply via paper, but would need the parental details. He explained that he is estranged from his parents, and they said there was nothing he could do but wait. He is applying AGAIN for 2014 start (this is the third attempt now...) and we are incredibly worried the same issue is going to arise. Is there any way that he can get his account unlocked? He hasn't claimed any student finance nor enrolled on any courses, so it shouldn't be an issue, right? :/

    Thanks for reading, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Leighcakes.

    Your boyfriend can provide evidence to us to show that he is currently estranged from his parents. This can be in the form of a written letter from someone who holds a professional qualification, and knows of his estrangement and can verify this, and that it would not be possible to reconcile with his parents for the foreseeable future. For example, a social worker, doctor or any teachers, lecturers or solicitors who are aware of his circumstances.

    I would advise to have your boyfriend to call us on 0845 300 5090 to confirm that his 12/13 app has been deleted so he can apply for 14/15 online.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2014
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.