Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why can't people ask me not to tlak to them? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was at my uncle's house for his birthday and my cousin had her friends over, I was speaking to them, after a while she told me not to talk to them becuase they didn't want me to talk to them...

Who is she to tell me not to talk to her friends? If they didn't want me to they would of told me, if I didn't want someone to talk to me I would tell them, my father told me that I was "pestering" them and that they were just being nice, but it makes no sense, why would you let someone talk to you if you don't want to talk to them?

My other cousin told me that me talking to my cousin's friends make her feel unconformable... That's her problem, I don't think she has any right to tell me not to talk to her friends. I wouldn't ever tell someone not to talk to my friends, that's just extremely rude of me.

ReputationRep:
    In short, your sister's friends were just being polite and tolerated you talking to them because they didn't want to seem rude. I'm not sure how that's such a hard concept for you to understand...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MylittlePlusle)
    I was at my uncle's house for his birthday and my cousin had her friends over, I was speaking to them, after a while she told me not to talk to them becuase they didn't want me to talk to them...

Who is she to tell me not to talk to her friends? If they didn't want me to they would of told me, if I didn't want someone to talk to me I would tell them, my father told me that I was "pestering" them and that they were just being nice, but it makes no sense, why would you let someone talk to you if you don't want to talk to them?

My other cousin told me that me talking to my cousin's friends make her feel unconformable... That's her problem, I don't think she has any right to tell me not to talk to her friends. I wouldn't ever tell someone not to talk to my friends, that's just extremely rude of me.
    What if they said to tell her to tell you to stop talking?

When you're trying to be polite and not wanting to seem rude, you wouldn't say so directly. Also, if they hadn't of told your cousin and told you straight, your cousin would of probably stood up for you and say "don't rude" ... saves them the hassle.

Basically, you need to learn the difference and when it is appropriate to be direct with someone and when to be polite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    In short, your sister's friends were just being polite and tolerated you talking to them because they didn't want to seem rude. I'm not sure how that's such a hard concept for you to understand...
    This.

I often CBA to talk to people, but I do it out of this social construct called politeness.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    That seems incredibly bithcy and rude to me, unless you were actually being really annoying. But if you were just making general conversation then your cousins friends are stuck up morons.

ReputationRep:
    Her friends might have asked your cousin to say something on their behalf because it would sound better coming from her not them.

If even your dad thought you were pestering them, I think you need to just let it go and accept you were probably annoying them.

ReputationRep:
    They sound *****y, how old are they and how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    Were you just talking to them or were you giving them a love letter or going on about how much you love your friends?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you were pestering them but they were trying to be polite so they asked your cousin to say something

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    I've been told this before... If they wanted me to go away they should of told me, I wouldn't let someone talk to me if I didn't want them to, it's not hard to ask someone to go away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl63)
    What if they said to tell her to tell you to stop talking?

When you're trying to be polite and not wanting to seem rude, you wouldn't say so directly. Also, if they hadn't of told your cousin and told you straight, your cousin would of probably stood up for you and say "don't rude" ... saves them the hassle.

Basically, you need to learn the difference and when it is appropriate to be direct with someone and when to be polite.
    They have mouths, and they can speak for themselves, they are older enough to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatrollingstone)
    That seems incredibly bithcy and rude to me, unless you were actually being really annoying. But if you were just making general conversation then your cousins friends are stuck up morons.
    I wanted to ask one about the pope and I wanted to get to know my cousin's friend. I don't see what the problem with that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    They sound *****y, how old are they and how old are you?
    I'm 20, my ousin is 21 and and her two friends are 21/20.

ReputationRep:
    You sound really socially awkward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    Were you just talking to them or were you giving them a love letter or going on about how much you love your friends?
    No, I may have intense love for them but I do not need to talk about them to EVERYONE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    Sounds like you were pestering them but they were trying to be polite so they asked your cousin to say something

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If I was pestering them thy would of told me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    This.

I often CBA to talk to people, but I do it out of this social construct called politeness.

/thread
    Why would you talk to someone you don't want to? It's a waste of your time and the person's time. If I don't want to talk to someone, I don't talk to them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you understand social situations, it's rude to tell friends relative to 'go away' to their face, so they would have had a quiet word with your cousin and asked them to let you know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, I may have intense love for them but I do not need to talk about them to EVERYONE.
    Why would you talk to someone you don't want to? It's a waste of your time and the person's time. If I don't want to talk to someone, I don't talk to them.
    I mean this in the nicest way possible, but are you sure you don't suffer from autism or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    I mean this in the nicest way possible, but are you sure you don't suffer from autism or something?
    I have autism, I don't SUFFER from it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2014
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.