Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have unconditional offers for Glasgow and St Andrews for environmental/earth science.

Not quite sure how to decide between the two, I've been told the main difference is between city or town life? Is this true? Are the courses majorly different? From what the modules are on the websites, they seem pretty similar?!

Any help would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I've got the same problem except with psychology. I think a big difference is the originality. Glasgow has loads of pupils doing each course whereas St. Andrew's has only like 6000 pupils. That's why I imagine uniqueness would be quite a big difference. But we're in the same boat

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jack,

From what Ive heard they are pretty similar academically, the main difference is in the social aspect. Glasgow has a lot more clubs etc, where as St Andrews only has one. Also, a friend who is from Glasgow has said that it can feel quite lonely there, like it can in any big city. I quite like the idea of St Andrews being smaller.

Which are you leaning towards?

B

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite the same, I think I'd prefer the idea of a close knit community rather than a large university. I don't drink so I don't think the idea of a lack of clubs would annoy me, Dundee's is quite near anyway. So probably St. Andrew's is my first option I guess I'm just a bit scared by the idea of moving! What's your feeling?

Jack

ReputationRep:
    I went to boarding school for sixth form, so I've been away from home before, so I'm not scared in that sense. I've lived in the Middle East for the last 7 years though, so my only concern is the logistics of setting up. I've got good friends in Edinburgh, so I like the idea of being able to spend a weekend with them if I wanted a city fix.

Is your offer unconditional?

ReputationRep:
    Aww that's not too bad for you then! Yeah, that'd be quite convenient to get away! It is unconditional Having lived in Glasgow I can say that it is nice (mainly at the west end) but nothing really compares to St. Andrew's! Where are you located just now?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know how you feel guys, I was offered a place both Glasgow and Andrews for art history. As I'm from Czech, I have no chance to go and see the cities so I'm trying to decide through pictures and reviews. I love the idea of living in old and small town, but don't you know how hard is to find a part time job in Andrews?
    I've also heard that Andrews is much more expensive than Glasgow, is that true?

Thank you very much for help, and good luck with your decisions!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've decided to form St Andrews. Part time jobs are hard to come by in St. Andrews as there are lots of students for not many jobs. It is also a bit more expensive, bit I think that's because there's less competition.

It depends what you're looking for and what you priorities are.

Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I've lived in both areas and St. Andrew's is by far the best; more attractive and relaxing (but that's subjective). If you need a job and can't find one in town, Dundee is only 30 minutes away by bus and costs £6 return so you could get a job there! With regards to finance for accommodation Glasgow is more expensive and st. Andrew's has a range of clothes and food shops - from tesco to H&M - That offer reasonably priced and good quality products!

I'm certain i'll be firming St. Andrew's and wish you good luck in your application! Hopefully see you both there

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.