The Student Room Group

Engineering Students: Can you balance studying and a part-time job?

I'll be starting university this September and I've heard that engineering courses require a lot of time, effort and studying. Roughly, how many hours of lecture will I have per week in my first year? Would you recommend getting a part time job considering the workload? If yes, how much time do you think I could spend working? What have you done?
Reply 1
The number of lectures depends on the university. To be honest, the distribution of the lectures is probably the biggest barrier - One lecture in the morning and one in the afternoon means finding a job would be difficult because lectures cross over those two key times. The university usually employees its own students for some roles, and local businesses can be quite relaxed too - We have a Costa Coffee inside one of our buildings, and they seem to allow students to leave for lectures during their shift, or heavily base it around that sort of schedule.

18-20 hours a week of lectures, tutorials and labs probably isn't a bad estimate. The worst I've known is for some students to get 22-24 hours a week as we do some half-modules and due to timetabling, they had both half-modules in the same term. Many universities give you a day or afternoon off as an opportunity to do sports, although you don't have to. I usually get Wednesdays completely free (although this term I do not), so there is that. Just remember that your timetable may change termly, monthly or weekly depending on what work needs to be done, so during 9am-3pm is usually a bad time for a job. 3pm-6pm can also be risky and I've had a few lectures go on that late, but it's not too common. When we had projects to do, I would be in the workshop for 5-10 hours a week, so anticipate the effort you'll have to put in outside of what's scheduled for you.

Weekend work will be your best bet. I'm a second year mechanical and to be honest, I pretty much do nothing at weekends. I do work when it's required, but I'm usually quite free.

In terms of workload, it really depends. I was able to do little in my first year and still get some great marks. My lectures were usually over by 3pm and all my work was typically finished before 6pm so I had all my evenings off (until around the time of deadlines/exams where you up the effort). So it really depends how much work you need to put in, but I didn't find it as crazily busy as many people suggest it is. It's just tiring though with quite a lot of contact time, so I like to keep my weekends clear for sleeping and relaxing.

If you want to get a job, I would consider leaving it until after Christmas just so you can fully appreciate the workload you would have to do. Build up commitments instead of starting with many and having to drop them because that would just look bad. See what your timetable is like and see if the university is hiring in one of their receptions, food stalls or wherever else - They should have the most flexibility regarding employment. Just expect your timetable to change though. I've had to miss a few important sessions because I had booked one thing and then they changed my timetable and added a lab when I was not going to be there. Weekend work would probably be the most reliable for you but perhaps the trickier to find as everyone else will be looking for it too.
(edited 10 years ago)
It would be quite difficult to work during the week, but it should easily be doable during the weekend.
Reply 3
Original post by SillyEddy
The number of lectures depends on the university. To be honest, the distribution of the lectures is probably the biggest barrier - One lecture in the morning and one in the afternoon means finding a job would be difficult because lectures cross over those two key times. The university usually employees its own students for some roles, and local businesses can be quite relaxed too - We have a Costa Coffee inside one of our buildings, and they seem to allow students to leave for lectures during their shift, or heavily base it around that sort of schedule.

18-20 hours a week of lectures, tutorials and labs probably isn't a bad estimate. The worst I've known is for some students to get 22-24 hours a week as we do some half-modules and due to timetabling, they had both half-modules in the same term. Many universities give you a day or afternoon off as an opportunity to do sports, although you don't have to. I usually get Wednesdays completely free (although this term I do not), so there is that. Just remember that your timetable may change termly, monthly or weekly depending on what work needs to be done, so during 9am-3pm is usually a bad time for a job. 3pm-6pm can also be risky and I've had a few lectures go on that late, but it's not too common. When we had projects to do, I would be in the workshop for 5-10 hours a week, so anticipate the effort you'll have to put in outside of what's scheduled for you.

Weekend work will be your best bet. I'm a second year mechanical and to be honest, I pretty much do nothing at weekends. I do work when it's required, but I'm usually quite free.

In terms of workload, it really depends. I was able to do little in my first year and still get some great marks. My lectures were usually over by 3pm and all my work was typically finished before 6pm so I had all my evenings off (until around the time of deadlines/exams where you up the effort). So it really depends how much work you need to put in, but I didn't find it as crazily busy as many people suggest it is. It's just tiring though with quite a lot of contact time, so I like to keep my weekends clear for sleeping and relaxing.

If you want to get a job, I would consider leaving it until after Christmas just so you can fully appreciate the workload you would have to do. Build up commitments instead of starting with many and having to drop them because that would just look bad. See what your timetable is like and see if the university is hiring in one of their receptions, food stalls or wherever else - They should have the most flexibility regarding employment. Just expect your timetable to change though. I've had to miss a few important sessions because I had booked one thing and then they changed my timetable and added a lab when I was not going to be there. Weekend work would probably be the most reliable for you but perhaps the trickier to find as everyone else will be looking for it too.

Thank you so much for this. Honestly, I didn't expect such a long answer, but it's really helpful :smile:
I have a question though, which university do you go to? Also, did you get a job that you kept till the end of the year or did you have several different ones throughout the year?
I think I agree with you about waiting till Christmas to get a job, sounds like a sensible thing to do. Not sure I could earn enough through a weekend job, but something is better than nothing really.
Also, I was under the impression that universities are really organised and have fixed timetables but clearly I was wrong haha.
What about working online, I've never done it but I've seen adverts for people required to work online. Is it just a bunch of lies or do you know anyone that earns money online and is it feasible?
I appreciate you for telling me that the course isn't as difficult as I had thought it would be, I was worrying again haha
Thanks again your help :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by MissWorryALot
Thank you so much for this. Honestly, I didn't expect such a long answer, but it's really helpful :smile:
I have a question though, which university do you go to? Also, did you get a job that you kept till the end of the year or did you have several different ones throughout the year?
I think I agree with you about waiting till Christmas to get a job, sounds like a sensible thing to do. Not sure I could earn enough through a weekend job, but something is better than nothing really.
Also, I was under the impression that universities are really organised and have fixed timetables but clearly I was wrong haha.
What about working online, I've never done it but I've seen adverts for people required to work online. Is it just a bunch of lies or do you know anyone that earns money online and is it feasible?
I appreciate you for telling me that the course isn't as difficult as I had thought it would be, I was worrying again haha
Thanks again your help :biggrin:

I'm studying at Coventry but all universities (and all faculties and all courses within that university) will have different timetables.

I didn't get a job as I was able to survive off my student loan, although I did have the option of returning to a previous job back home if I wanted. It would've been weekend work. Restaurants and hotels are usually good places to find evening, night and weekend work on a flexible basis.

The timetables can be fairly rigid or fairly relaxed. But if something crops up, it needs doing really. On the whole, my timetable is 90-95% the same each week, but I'm still careful about making plans for specific hours of a week more than a fortnight out.

The working online things are something I've never tried, but usually seem like more hassle than it's worth. I know they say you can earn £50-£500 a week or whatever, but I'm hesitant. Similar things I have looked at have just led to you needing to subscribe to massive amounts of adverts or do significant amounts of work. If a job is paying you to "not have to do work", something is clearly wrong.
NO. Engineering is 100% raw physical and mental pain once your begin and once you begin there's no backing out. Imagine yourself drowning in coursework, assessments and tutorials...at this point you should recall that they say drowning is the most tortuous way to die because you're struggling to stay alive until the very last second.
Reply 6
Around 17-22 hours of lectures,

Work load gets high but only around deadlines so a weekend job is easily manageable.

Source: I study at Uni of Bath and work every Sunday for 9 hours

What Uni are you starting at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Also, I am now in second year and although the workload has dramatically increased, I still can handle my Sunday job

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to get a first then no, 2:1 still no but possibly, 2:2 got for it. I'm currently in second year mech eng and just to get a 1:1/2:1/ need to review the content each week for maths which takes me 2-3 hours a day, thats just one module. The reports, revision, tutorials make up for the rest of my time. At this point you begin not to have a social life.
Original post by Engineer2015
If you want to get a first then no, 2:1 still no but possibly, 2:2 got for it. I'm currently in second year mech eng and just to get a 1:1/2:1/ need to review the content each week for maths which takes me 2-3 hours a day, thats just one module. The reports, revision, tutorials make up for the rest of my time. At this point you begin not to have a social life.

Quite a few people on my course had jobs during their studies and got firsts (and they also had good social lives too). It's not impossible if you're good at maths and time management, as long as the hours aren't mainly during the week.

Quick Reply

Latest