Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    Hey all,

    so without my parents' knowledge, I rented uni accommodation, but althought I already paid the first term's installement and cannot cancel my contract, they are refusing to let me move out. They'd rather see me waste a few thousands pounds and stay at home.
    - it is socially unacceptable for kids in my culture to move out (especially since I am a girl)
    What now?
    - As I got mad at this unfairness, I am preparing my stuff and packing, but my mum is really sad (at least, she did not yell, she is just sad to see me go, particularly since I am not on speaking terms with my other siblings, given our numerous fights), and my dad is not talking to me (he swore in the name of God that if I leave, I won't be welcome back!)

    I am scared! I am determined to go, but afraid that I won't cope with this marginalisation!

    See if you can get someone else to take your room (start by telling the accommodation provider that you want to let it go as they tend to have a list of people waiting for accommodation). In future if you are so adamant that you are going to do something that is against your families beliefs then it is probably a good idea to sit them down (however many times it takes) to discuss it with them.

    If you still want to go despite the apparent carnage then good luck to you, but I don't think it's a good idea in the long run.

    Well. if you can afford university without relying on cash injections from your family, I would probably move out. I have to say though that I'm not strongly attached to my family and wouldn't miss them at all. I don't know if that applies to you. If you are unsure about any of this, then you should probably be cautious and wait with rebellion until after uni when you have a good job.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2014
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.