Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

English PGCE - What are the biggest challenges to English teachers today? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What are the biggest challenges to English teachers today?

I need to brush up on current educational issues but i can't seem to find any specific to English teachers :/ :confused:

Does ANYONE know any? In fact i can't really find much information on ANY educational issues either way strangely.

My interview is coming up really soon and i'm really struggling!!

ReputationRep:
    i would say that grammar is a good one to mention. children these days are not encouraged to express themselves grammatically. those unfortunates who do take the trouble to speak clearly and precisely are attacked and abused. unfortunately this laissez-faire attitude has permeated the teacher training institutes; grammatical exactitude is viewed as at best an amusing eccentricity, at worst as an indicator of very politically incorrect attitudes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Guardian-)
    What are the biggest challenges to English teachers today?

I need to brush up on current educational issues but i can't seem to find any specific to English teachers :/ :confused:

Does ANYONE know any? In fact i can't really find much information on ANY educational issues either way strangely.

My interview is coming up really soon and i'm really struggling!!
    Hey are you a current student - it's worth browsing your Uni library or any library for that matter, I had my interview at Brighton yesterday and found these books really helpful

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Issues-Engli...glish+teaching

http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Teac...d_bxgy_b_img_z

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teaching-Eng...d_bxgy_b_img_y

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the Ofsted reports for your area/the area you're applying to. For example, I'm in Stoke on Trent and our 'big issue' is that at Secondary level only 34% of students attend a good or better rated school. Read up about the schools you're applying to!

You've also got the reorganisation of the GCSE grade scheme from A*-F to 1-9 so that's going to have a huge impact. (Cheers, Mr Gove.)

Literacy is going to be a huge thing as well, as the government are pushing reading and reading for pleasure as a huge point. This ties in to grammar. Where students would learn almost by osmosis when it came to grammar and sentence structure, vocab and so forth, now because so much is on-screen this isn't being driven home to the students as it should be.

Spelling too is a huge issue - considering the prevalence of spell checking software, students are relying on a computer to correct their spelling and not their own knowledge. You'll find Y9 students, even top sets, who struggle to spell some simple 5/6 letter words. I'm not talking about mean words like hygiene - had to have two goes at that, I totally got it wrong on my Lit Skills Test, and yes it's a 7 letter word but still.

Erm, this turned into an essay! My apologies, but hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    Other key issues: Should we be pushing 'Standard English' as this will help kids to get jobs etc, or it this actually alienating to children from working class families?
    Should Speaking and Listening form part of the GCSE?
    Should English be about children's personal growth as individuals or about learning about the texts from our cultural heritage or about something else entirely? (See the Cox Report).
    Should Language and Literature be integrated or taught separately?
    Are new English teachers equipped to teach the grammar that will be necessary on the new NC?

I wrote that in 2 minutes so apologies if some of it is a bit garbled, but hope it sparks some thoughts.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.