The Student Room Group

Are you aware of the Law regarding Social Media?

Hey guys, just want to do a quick semi-structured questionnaire for my Extended Project.

I want to know whether you are aware of the laws on Social Media and whether you consider it when posting content on Social Media,

Please reply Yes/No, followed by a short explanation. Thanks! :smile:
No, I know that there are laws regarding internet use but I was not aware of any specifically for social media. (By social media, I am assuming Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc) However, I have no legal knowledge on this matter. :smile:
Yes, the McAlpine libel case was reported on fairly widely tbh. I subsequently found a newspaper article on the BBC I think explaining the various different laws.
Reply 3
Which law in particular? And on what social media? (Your EQP might benefit from more specific questions!)

Though to answer, yes. I have a vague awareness of laws regarding posts on social media, such as it's illegal to make death/rape threats, racist posts and I think there's certain instances as well, like a guy who got jailed for posting stuff when the little girl April Jones went missing.

Every article I read about social media always seems to mention the difficulty that police find they have in dealing with criminal activity on social media, since apparently it's all still a bit of a grey area in some instances, being a relatively new occurrence.
Reply 4
No.

I find that 'don't be a jerk, post links to upsetting things, threaten people, etc' is a sufficient rule (most of that really could be under 'don't be a jerk'). I know that there are laws, and there should be laws because of incidents like Megan Meier.
No, I'm only vaguely aware of news articles relating to trials / sentences for people that post abuse on Twitter. I don't consider these at all when posting on social media except one thing I would not do is make a bomb threat on social media.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending