Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am 21 years old soon to be 22(5 months). I have been out of any type of education since 2010, which was an apprenticeship. I also dropped my 2nd year of A level study back in 2009 at the start of my 2nd year after gaining my AS grades.

These are the current qualifications I have:

Comptia A+
    City and Guilds Advanced Apprenticeship in IT and Telecoms including:
    - Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence
    - Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles
    - Level 2 Key Skills Application of number and Communications.

Certificate in Financial Studies C
    As Business C
    As Accounts D
    OCR Certificate in Level 1 Word Processing Pass
    OCR Certificate in Level 1 Text Processing Distinction

Business Studies A
    English Language B
    English Literature B
    Maths B
    Science Double Award C
    Science C
    Art C
    Graphics C

I really want to return to education and go to university. I don't know my the best way of returning or how to get in, also financing the courses I have no idea. I have made a few enquireys to colleges/unis and I'll see what they say about the situation. But I'm hoping maybe some of you guys have a good understanding of where I could go in order to do get back into education and the best way of doing so.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    Travel back in time
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Move to Mature Students

ReputationRep:
    Access To Higher Education - I'm not sure if you would get it free as you have possibly some Level 3 qualifications :-)

ReputationRep:
    Your level 3 qualifications may be enough - especially if you are considering computer studies type course. If not, then as Bright_blonde says, Access to HE will probably be your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crookz)
    I am 21 years old soon to be 22(5 months). I have been out of any type of education since 2010, which was an apprenticeship. I also dropped my 2nd year of A level study back in 2009 at the start of my 2nd year after gaining my AS grades.

Comptia A+
    - Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence
    - Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles
    - Level 2 Key Skills Application of number and Communications.

Certificate in Financial Studies C
    As Business C
    As Accounts D
    OCR Certificate in Level 1 Word Processing Pass
    OCR Certificate in Level 1 Text Processing Distinction

Business Studies A
    English Language B
    English Literature B
    Maths B
    Science Double Award C
    Science C
    Art C
    Graphics C

I really want to return to education and go to university. I don't know my the best way of returning or how to get in, also financing the courses I have no idea. I have made a few enquireys to colleges/unis and I'll see what they say about the situation. But I'm hoping maybe some of you guys have a good understanding of where I could go in order to do get back into education and the best way of doing so.

All the best.
    What is it you want to study at university or what is your end goal / chosen career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crookz)

Comptia A+
    -Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence
    -Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles
    -Level 2 Key Skills Application of number and Communications.

Certificate in Financial StudiesC
    As Business C
    As AccountsD
    OCR Certificate in Level 1 Word ProcessingPass
    OCR Certificate in Level 1 Text ProcessingDistinction

Business StudiesA
    English LanguageB
    English LiteratureB
    Maths B
    Science Double AwardC
    ScienceC
    ArtC
    Graphics C

All the best.
    I am 30 this year, and will finally get my A levels. My UCAS is in and am waiting on my final offers. So don't lose heart; it can be done.19-24 year olds can still get access to free level 3 academic quals, iirc.

Depending on your desired field of study, I would try for Foundation degrees or Access to HE in the relevant field. These will suit if you are looking to do Business or STEM subject style courses.

If you want to pursue a very academic subject (say, Classics or Theology) it might be worth doing the A levels anyway to get back into the academic mindset.

If you are thinking of pursuing a creative field, you may be better off compiling a portfolio to show off what you can do and speak to colleges/unis direct.

The advice will vary depending on your chosen field of higher study.

Funding wise: where there is a will, there is a way. Write to your MP, speak to local education charities, basically, badger, pester and keep at it. The funding is out there, I promise you! Obviously, for Uni you can get student loan funding assuming you are a citizen-resident, with no need to pay back until you are earning a reasonable wage. Not all of the loans/grants are means-tested so enquire with your national funding body as to what sort of entitlement you could expect. Many unis also offer scholarships, but they tend to be specific to that establishment.

Don't stop, don't lose heart if at first it seems impossible. Navigating the beauocracy can be a pain but you will get there.

If I can assist with specific details by all means PM me, I will help if I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thankyou for the help guys, I think the field I want to get into is the thing I need to take time thinking over, but I just am not to sure how you get your foot back i the door, because I'm not going through normal means such as just applying through school etc.

but thanks for the replies, I'm still thinking things over and all the advice I can get would be helpful, thanks again.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.