x Turn on thread page Beta

Modernising the Post / Thread text editor box watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

We're planning to rebuild the text editor box (the thing you type into when creating a new Thread of Post):

Name:  Reply to thread   The Student Room.png
Views: 141
Size:  29.7 KB

The reason for rebuilding it is because it's a number of years old and is now quite slow and clunky, and it's slowing down the page load. Particularly on mobile.

The exciting news though is that because we're rebuilding it, it's a great opportunity to also improve it! So, my question to you is, what should we do to improve it?!

I'd recommend thinking about other sites that you use that have features you like.

Jack

ReputationRep:
    WYSIWYG editing, so if I put something in
    quotes
    or similar, it'll appear correctly formatted in the editor box without me having to press preview. Same goes for code and LaTeX tags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benplumley)
    WYSIWYG editing, so if I put something in or similar, it'll appear correctly formatted in the editor box without me having to press preview. Same goes for code and LaTeX tags.
    Basic WYSIWYG posting is already possible, if you switch to the enhanced interface in your account options. Granted, though, that wouldn't work with quotes and LaTeX, which I suspect would be difficult to do given how those are currently displayed in posts. That doesn't mean that they're not worthwhile suggestions, though.

Jack - we currently have three post editors available: basic, standard and enhanced. Which of these are proposed to be changed, and which would remain available? Maintaining a basic version of the post editor could be worthwhile, to cater for those with older browsers.

It would be good if the quick reply editor can be updated along with this, so that it has the same functionality as the editor in the "go advanced" view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Basic WYSIWYG posting is already possible, if you switch to the enhanced interface in your account options. Granted, though, that wouldn't work with quotes and LaTeX, which I suspect would be difficult to do given how those are currently displayed in posts. That doesn't mean that they're not worthwhile suggestions, though.

Jack - we currently have three post editors available: basic, standard and enhanced. Which of these are proposed to be changed, and which would remain available? Maintaining a basic version of the post editor could be worthwhile, to cater for those with older browsers.

It would be good if the quick reply editor can be updated along with this, so that it has the same functionality as the editor in the "go advanced" view.
    Yes, one train of thought we currently have is to upgrade all of them so that they do have the same functionality, perhaps with the more advanced functionality behind one or more buttons. A bit like Wordpress if you've ever used that to post.

ReputationRep:
    easier acces to faces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Yes, one train of thought we currently have is to upgrade all of them so that they do have the same functionality, perhaps with the more advanced functionality behind one or more buttons. A bit like Wordpress if you've ever used that to post.
    So long as the posting box remains accessible across a wide range of browser configurations, that sounds good to me. :yy: I've used the TSR Blog Wordpress account, so know what you're getting at. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I would strongly suggest having some form of box without any WYSIWYG functionality, to allow for a fallback for basic browsers or bugs. For instance, there have been many reports that people have problems with typing being laggy or not being able to start a new line with the current WYSIWYG editor - if there was no fallback, and another such bug occured, it could be a much more serious problem. Also, progressive enhancement and all that.

ReputationRep:
    Like you've done with the smilies, it would probably be worth getting a collection of memes that people can easily access to post in relevant situations .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    I would strongly suggest having some form of box without any WYSIWYG functionality, to allow for a fallback for basic browsers or bugs. For instance, there have been many reports that people have problems with typing being laggy or not being able to start a new line with the current WYSIWYG editor - if there was no fallback, and another such bug occured, it could be a much more serious problem. Also, progressive enhancement and all that.
    Is that largely on mobile? We know there has been a big problem on mobile that stopped people from using the editor half way through a post. We think this is largely fixed now... but I'd be interested whenever someone experiences it.

All of the lag and issues will likely be because the code of the existing editor is so old and using dated technology. A new version would speed it up considerably, even with full WYSIWYG. We would however test across all browsers we support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brittanna)
    Like you've done with the smilies, it would probably be worth making a bank of memes that people can easily access to post in relevant situations .
    It tends not to be desirable to encourage rule-breaking posts

ReputationRep:
    Is it against the rules to post memes?

ReputationRep:
    Very often, yes, especially if that's all that your post consists of. :sadnod: Memes aren't a constructive way to reply to a thread. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Is that largely on mobile? We know there has been a big problem on mobile that stopped people from using the editor half way through a post. We think this is largely fixed now... but I'd be interested whenever someone experiences it.

All of the lag and issues will likely be because the code of the existing editor is so old and using dated technology. A new version would speed it up considerably, even with full WYSIWYG. We would however test across all browsers we support.
    Nope, at least some appear to be on traditional devices (linky - talking about their keyboard suggests non-mobile & linky - explicitly says laptop). Both of those are lag-related, but they have been people who can't new line at all, also at least sometimes on non-mobile.

While I am sure the new code will be much better, and you will test well, I still strongly advice having a fallback,
    a) For when the new code becomes older & slower, unless you are certain the code will be updated before this is a problem. I am sure that when the default editor was written, it was much more 'modern' by the standards at the time, however you shouldn't assume that because it works well at production, it will do so for the entire length of its life, unless you have a very big dev team.
    b) Bit more selfish, but also for people like me, who are not a fan of WYSIWYG.

Out of interest, what is the oldest version of IE you support?

ReputationRep:
    Like you've done with the smilies, it would probably be worth getting a collection of memes that people can easily access to post in relevant situations .

Very often, yes, especially if that's all that your post consists of. :sadnod: Memes aren't a constructive way to reply to a thread. :nah:
    To confirm it is not against the rules to post memes.

It's just everything in moderation if you were to post loads in one go, or post lots in say a study thread, sidetracking a discussion it would be a problem but we'd likely ask you to stop before you got any warnings. So don't worry too much.

Personally I like your idea but I can see it might lead to being abused by some people. I'll jot it down for more consideration.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Regarding issues in the current editor, there's a known bug with vBulletin that causes the editor to break on IE10 (and presumably IE11 too). Unfortunately there hasn't been any fix published for this on vB4 and it's looking incredibly unlikely that there will be. Switching off WYSIWYG mode "fixes" it though.

ReputationRep:
    Good. I use it with IE on Windows 8.1 and after a few lines it becomes less responsive and only accepts half the letters.

ReputationRep:
    x
    I really hate the way the emoticons are on this forum. I posted a thread about it here, but it was almost completely ignored. I'm very keen on uniformity, though I don't think we'll ever see that.

I just hate the way that the few smilies I like are buried under hundreds that I don't like. I can't remember the code for all of them, so wouldn't it make sense to have a favourite smilies bit or something? They would actually be used a lot more if you did that. Currently, tonnes of them are just buried in there never to be used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    I really hate the way the emoticons are on this forum. I posted a thread about it here, but it was almost completely ignored. I'm very keen on uniformity, though I don't think we'll ever see that.

I just hate the way that the few smilies I like are buried under hundreds that I don't like. I can't remember the code for all of them, so wouldn't it make sense to have a favourite smilies bit or something? They would actually be used a lot more if you did that. Currently, tonnes of them are just buried in there never to be used.
    We've got a separate project underway to review the emoticons on the site - watch this space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)

Yep - as Illusionary said we are planning to tidy up the Smilies. I'll check out your original thread and please do keep sharing ideas about how else we can improve smilies

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.