Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi All

What are the main differences between the current curriculum and the new one coming in September 2014?

People seem to be up in arms about it but i can't see anywhere why that would be.:confused:

How is the new curriculum going to change how English Teachers teach?

In terms of content, the main differences are going to be how extensively SG&P is taught - in that Mr Gove (and, shockingly, I agree) believes that it isn't taught enough or as thoroughly. Students in year 9 struggling to spell basic 5/6 letter words is something that should have been addressed a long time ago. There's also a big government push towards literacy and reading extensively which can only be a positive thing. Maybe I'm a naive wanna-be teacher on that front.

Oh, and a push towards more Shakespeare and other heritage texts. Again, can't say I disagree.

Also, you've got the change from letter grades to the 1-9 grading system. I think it's this that's causing so much ruckus.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    The thing that will change the way English teachers teach is the new Performance Measures for 2016. This gives equal parity to English Language and English Literature and allows English Literature to substitute for Language in the English Baccalaureate and be counted twice in Basics, Progress 8 and Attainment 8. It's all a bit technical but will have a significant impact in the classroom.
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.